Can Your Car Last 930,000 Miles?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Anyone who owns a car hopes that it will last enough so it will feel as though they had their money's worth. Some are happy with 100,000 miles, others may try for 300,000. But how about 930,000 for a 12 year-old car? That's right, some Honda Civic owner managed to get 930,000 miles out of the car without ever having engine or transmission troubles.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
honda_civic_900000_miles_100207.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>
The car is on its ninth timing belt, ninth water pump, and fourth clutch. But the engine and transmission are original, as are the floor mats. The car even comes with records. The most incredible thing isn't the mileage, though. It's how the owner put the miles on the car: driving on business trips from Atlanta... to Seattle... and San Francisco.

Source: Autoblog

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I had a Nissan 200SX that had 500K, it would still be going but it was hit so many times, the last took it down.
Funeral services were brief.

Merlin

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Foreign cars can last this long, but no domestic will last this long on the original powertrain. The sad part is that we allow our car makes to build inferior cars and we line up like drones to buy them. I have a 1995 Olds Ciera with 120K miles and it is about to get its' second transmission and it has already had 1 head gasket replacement. Plus all the other parts I have been forced to replace. I plan on putting atleast 250K miles on it, but only because I am a mechanic and don't have to pay labor charges. North Americans should be outraged that we cannot buy a quality domestic, but then again most people only care about having the biggest loudest POS....

moon111

Coastermaker
I've had a few Honda's in the past. With the Hondas, they used so little fuel, I fixed every thing. I've also had many bigger North American cars. I've usually bought them cheap, drove them, and never fixed a thing. I've scrapped them even when they were still running good. Why? My cash flow went into gas. And after a few years of not fixing things, you're left with a vehicle which now has too many repairs to make it worth while. If gas was free and the parts cost being equal, the import stuff isn't any better. What they are better at is cost of ownership. If that Honda owner was replacing 9 timing belts and water pumps, fixing clutches etc... and paying the fuel cost of a V8, or even a V6, he would of probably switched vehicles by now.