Can Ubuntu Catch OS X in Two Years?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
As far as current operating systems are concerned, Microsoft's Windows is undoubtedly the world-leader when it comes to installations on home desktops. In second place is Apple's OS X, and in a relatively close third, all Linux distributions. Thanks to Mark Shuttleworth's deep pockets, and creative marketing, his Ubuntu Linux distro has been growing steadily since its launch in 2004. But can Canonical pull off the 'impossible', and out-pace OS X, and eventually Windows?

That's the idea behind a recent posting at The Register. According to the site, Mark made a comment at the recent OSCON to call on the distro's developers to put forth a sincere effort to not only catch Apple, but surpass them, in terms of overall quality. The goal? Two years.

As it stands, that's a lofty goal, but I have little doubt it can be done. However, the fact of the matter is, the reason Linux hasn't caught on like OS X isn't because of ugly design, because really, Ubuntu and other popular distros are gorgeous. Rather, the fact that it's not easy is the reason it hasn't made a massive impact like it should have already.

When the day comes that the command-line in Linux is left only to the power-users, then the OS will catch on at a rapid pace. Until that time, we cannot just expect everyone to have the patience to learn an entirely new OS than what they are used to, if they need to type in random commands to install software, or get other minute details accomplished.

ubuntu_large_news_logo.png

He also returned to a familiar theme of greater cooperation between disparate projects. Coordination of releases would be beneficial in cases where there are interdependencies, reducing bugs, helping produce a general open-source platform that could bring open source to the attention of the world at large.

Source: The Register

madmat

Soup Nazi
Well said Rob. That's the whole reason I haven't embraced the penguin, the whole command line thing is so Windows 3.1 and I'm not that patient.

Come on guys, make some executables to make Linux painless for those of us that aren't savvy in command lines and compiling and all the other turn offs for Linux and watch it gain the popularity that's being afforded to OSX. In short make an OS that's intuitive and doesn't require the user to do the thinking for their computers and you'll have it licked.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The problem is that every distro generally handles installation differently. I do think it's a fantastic idea to have a vast selection of distros, because chances are one can be found that really clicks with your likes, but things do need to change.

I think we need a universal installer system... one that would work with every distro on the market. Software repositories are fantastic, and it's one thing that Linux has over Windows, but people should be able to download a program, click it, and launch the installer. It should not be more difficult than that.

It's even worse if you use a distro other than something Debian-based or Red Hat-based. How do I install Nero? I have to convert the RPM to a Tar Gzip, then extract it to the root folder, all via command-line... that's just ridiculous.

The problem I see is that this will not happen for a while. Linux needs better standards for things like this. I'm sure many will disagree, but whatever. I've been using Linux full-time for over two-years now, and I love it. But I'm also a power-user and would rather use the command-line for most things. Sadly, I'm in the minority.

slugbug

Coastermaker
That's the biggest problem I have with Linux. I install a program and then have to search everywhere to find it. If I wanted to use command line for everything I would have stuck with DOS.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I don't remember where I read it but it was stated Linux was only around .08% market share, Apple was significantly higher and growing quickly thanks to their brisk sales. So in effect there is roughly the same percentage of Linux users as there are Opera users... :D

I had my fun with linux, but I don't have the time nor desire to learn commandline, and not willing to spend my time making things work and figuring out XYZ program isn't working because it must have files included from a second library, then be compiled by a specific version of another program. Until someone develops a linux that is as simplistic to use as Windows, there's no reason to switch. People are willing to pay for the convenience that is Windows... and unfortunately for linux, even OS X is far more convenient to use than Linux. I don't think OS X has anything to worry about.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's the biggest problem I have with Linux. I install a program and then have to search everywhere to find it. If I wanted to use command line for everything I would have stuck with DOS.

That depends on the packaging system. Most will put a new entry in the menu, just like any application would with Windows. I do admit that when something is not put there, it's easily found with the command-line, and yes, I think that's a good way to do things. People shrug off the command-line too quickly... even the simplest commands can be a huge time-saver.

I don't remember where I read it but it was stated Linux was only around .08% market share, Apple was significantly higher and growing quickly thanks to their brisk sales. So in effect there is roughly the same percentage of Linux users as there are Opera users...

I made a mistake here, and I did believe that Linux had a much larger market share than this. I have no idea how it's that small given the large amount of people using it nowadays. I won't say much though, because I know anything I say here will be seen by MacMan and eaten alive.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I'm not entirely sure where they get this info... but these ARE the numbers I keep reading about and everyone seems to be using. http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8

Rather interesting site... Was close, only 0.73% of users using Opera, darn it. http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=0

Edit: Okay, very very fun site. Microsoft supposedly lost 2.17% market share over the last year... can't wait for them to drop to 89%, that's been talked about last couple months.

Edit2: Then there is http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
They likely get their stats based off of analytics running on sites owned by affiliate companies. Here is the overall share for TG during June:

Firefox: 52.96%
Internet Explorer: 38.43%
Opera: 4.91%
Safari: 2.63%
Mozilla: 0.74%

Windows: 89.61%
Linux: 6.16%
Macintosh: 3.79%
(not set): 0.21%
iPhone: 0.07%

We get more Linux users than most due to the Linux content we've posted before that simply will not die.