Can Future iPads Cannibalize TV Purchases?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
We live in a world where trends and likes can change on a dime. Years ago, having a big screen TV was the coolest thing ever, but now it's commonplace. We used to never imagine walking around with robust mobile computers, but that's also commonplace. We never thought of using our cell phones for much more than making phone calls, and well... enough said. But can future iPads actually cannibalize TV usage and sales?

ipad_2_112811.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

marfig

No ROM battery
I think yes. Tablets can indeed cannibalize TV audiences. However, I'm not so sure they will be able to replace a home TV on any number of houses to become noticeable. A tablet screen can never make up for a good movie watching experience for instance. They may mean TV audiences on tablets may increase, which should demand at some point a change in show formats, but hardly any significant change in TV purchases.

The Television has also seen a great boost in recent years. New interactive technologies and TV specific technologies (like 3D) have greatly increased the quality of the time spent in front of a TV set. I don't see a tablet ever being able to replace that.

On an unrelated note. This analyst vision of the future is a tad bit dystopian for another reason. In his future, no more tablet manufacturers are left and the only one existent is the iPad.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I have never watched a TV show or movie on a mobile device ever... and I just can't see there ever being a time when I will. I just can't stand looking at small screens for too long (a tablet wouldn't count I don't think... I just have no experience there).

When I watch a movie though, I want a comfortable experience. Kick back on the couch, feet up... how it should be.