Buy.com

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Since I found the Q9450 at Micro Center, I cancelled the order at Buy.com
Now, trying to get the credit for the 351.68 seems to be a chore for them.
I have contacted Visa and the funds have NOT been released back to my account.

They have good prices and shipping, but if you ever cancel, it will be hell to get the pending charges released.

I don't think I will buy from them again for this lesson in buying from them.

If anyone else does, then beware of this persistant problem.

Reply from Buy.com :
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Buy.com.

The length of time that an authorization is held on your account is determined by the issuing bank, each financial institute sets their own policies and procedures for the release of the funds. Please contact the issuing bank to confirm that the authorization is still pending. If your bank requires Buy.com to assist in the removal of the authorization we will be happy to do so. Please provide us with a phone number where we can contact a representative at your bank who will be able to assist. Also include any special instructions from the bank so that they can process the request as quickly as possible for you.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,
Buy.com Credit Authorization Team

www.buy.com

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Last edited:

Ghost

Obliviot
Takes my credit union 7 business days for a pending charge to release. This being a debit card, but the policies would probably be the same for a credit card proper. A debit is usually pretty much an instant or near instant transfer to the merchant.

In my experience if the etailer has actually recieved the funds is usually 72hrs for the chargeback, but has been as long as 5 days. Then there is the time it takes your card issuer to process the charge back..my credit union usually somethime the next business day after the merchant issued the charge back.

I agree with THUMper, sounds like your financial institution, Buy.com had not actually collected on the charge, do keep an eye on your account to make sure the don't go ahead an collect...the you have to get them to issue a chargeback, and if they don't/won't then fwill have to file ile a dispute and that can tie up those funds for 30+ days.

slugbug

Coastermaker
I know from personal experience that buy.com Canada is terrible when it comes to canceling orders. The two times I tried ordering from them, the orders were never fulfilled, even though the second time the item was in stock. They claimed the item was on backorder even though it was shown in stock on their site for weeks.

After months of empty promises, I decided to cancel my orders. A month later my order cancellation request was still pending so I emailed them and asked what the damn holdup was. It took a further two weeks before they finally got around to it.

I now avoid them like the plague.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
sounds like its your banks fault.
Naaaaah....Buy.com needs to release the charge...they're dragging feet.
WHen I cancel from Newegg, it takes 2 or 3 days...no problems
Buy.com suks to no end, that's all

slugbug

Coastermaker
I know they have a toll free number, but I can't remember it offhand. Not that it would help much since they outsource to a call center in India.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hmm, they do make it sound like it's the banks fault. I had a similar issue last year when I canceled an order, and had the same problem. Mine was the banks fault, though.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Latest results :mad:
buy dot come asked me to contact Visa to cancel the charges.
I'm going back and forth here.
After doing a copy and paste 50 times, I get a reponce ( I tend to get into people's hair after a while ) when I want something done.
A good place to review companies that sell products is:

http://www.resellerratings.com/topstores.pl

It IS buy dot com that is dragging here....when you look at reviews you see a pattern

Don't buy anything from them unless you want a challenge.

Syran

Obliviot
The people over at Fatwallet REALLY dislike buy.com, giving most buy.com red flags from the start. I had an issue with them a while back, but haven't ordered too many things from them; or had any other issues there.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
The people over at Fatwallet REALLY dislike buy.com, giving most buy.com red flags from the start. I had an issue with them a while back, but haven't ordered too many things from them; or had any other issues there.
What town in GA. are you :D
Does the Woodstock/ Acworth area ring a bell?
( Townlake )

Syran

Obliviot
I'm on the coast, about an hour SW of Savannah; but yeah, I know alot of the towns around Atlanta, from visiting friends & living in Macon for 2 years while @ Mercer. Gonna be up there in july at the Georgia dome (repairs permitting) for the DCI SE Championships.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, it's starting to sound like Buy.com really is a difficult company to deal with. Doesn't seem too bad if the purchase goes right, but people have to assume that problems can arise.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Dunno... never had to cancel anything from them or had to deal with their support. I've ordered more than a few things from them since they sometimes were cheaper than Newegg.

The one time I pre-ordered a book from Buy.com I was very surprised when it showed up in the mail on the launch date. Not had any problems, at least yet. ;)

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Finally...yes Finally after a month, got my 351.68 released from buy,com

I've only cancelled one other thing, a hard drive from Newegg and it was released in three days

Lessons to be learned