Building a new PC little advise please?

Metatron

Obliviot
Hi I'm building a new PC it's been awhile(5yrs) so i=I'm pretty rusty at the new tech here's what I was looking at.

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

EVGA 132-CK-NF79-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI DDR3 ATX Intel Motherboard

XFX PVT98UZHBU GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Rosewill RX850-D-B ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 850W Power Supply

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor

OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model

Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10000 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive

SAMSUNG 2253BW Black 22" 2ms(GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor

Any advise would be appreciated. also I was wanting to OC the CPU to 3.2Ghz
and I'm wondering what kind of cooling I'm gonna need to run stable 24/7.

All looks pretty good to me. The only thing I could suggest to you would be to get a different, bigger, HDD. Although, if you have your mind set on getting a raptor, I'd suggest getting another HDD aswell. Then you can load your OS/'s onto the raptor and maybe your games, then have all your other data on the other normal HDD. (just a suggestion)

You may also want to look at getting an EVGA card instead of the XFX. I know XFX is a good brand, but from what I've read EVGA is an absolutely awesome brand. Not only because their cards give good performance, but because if anything does go wrong they have one of the best customer services out there. It'll match your motherboard then aswell :D

-James Crysis-

Metatron

Obliviot
Thanks James , So EVGA is the better brand, it was kind of a toss up between the two anyway. I think I had picked the XFX because of the slightly faster clock speed.

I agree the hard drive is a little small, I chose it because of the RPM and 16mb cache. I was thinking about getting a large cheap drive for my non hard drive intensive stuff, unless your don't think hard drive speed matters that much.

Any Ideas on OCing the cpu and what kind of cooling I'm gonna need.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Hi I'm building a new PC it's been awhile(5yrs) so i=I'm pretty rusty at the new tech here's what I was looking at.

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

EVGA 132-CK-NF79-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI DDR3 ATX Intel Motherboard

XFX PVT98UZHBU GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Rosewill RX850-D-B ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 850W Power Supply

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor

OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model

Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10000 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive

SAMSUNG 2253BW Black 22" 2ms(GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor

Any advise would be appreciated. also I was wanting to OC the CPU to 3.2Ghz
and I'm wondering what kind of cooling I'm gonna need to run stable 24/7.
A candle that burns twice as fast, burns half as long.
I dunno about putting the OS on a Raptor.
Yes, they are fast, but they also heat up...putting more heat into your Antec, Although the Ninehundred is a great case, plenty of air flow.
Raptors also get noisy.
I had the 150 gb raptor and now use it as the second drive, when I heard so much about the short life span.
The Hitachi Deskstar 1TB is a great drive, I use it in my NAS server
and plan to get another for my puter.
It's one tera bite and cheaper than the 150 gb raptor.
Hitachi has made their own drives forever, and they use the parralell disk write, better read write technology.

Merlin

hippiesan62

Obliviot
video cards and HDDs

It looks like you have a good build in the works. Just a couple of comments, though, about your choices.
When it comes to video cards, the chipset is the primary factor. If you compare different brands, you will notice that cards with the same chip set are actually the same cards, with slightly different architecture. The manufacturers are using exactly the same components, so when someone says that one company is so much better than another, it is probably just a personal preference. When you choose a video card, look at the clock speeds and the card model. If you purchase the one with the higher clock/memory speeds, you are buying the same card as the one with the lowest speeds, but you are paying the manufacturer to change the BIOS settings for that card. You can purchase the lowest speed card for that model, and flash the bios yourself to get the higher speeds, and save some money at the same time.
A simple note about HDDs. I am putting together a new build, and am using 2 150/10K raptors. 1 for the OSs, and one for games and apps. General data storage is on a 1TB Seagate. By using 2 high speed drives this way, there are no bottlenecks, therefore no lag and stutter.
Heat is a natural byproduct of electronic equipment, and is only an issue if you either can't or won't do something about it. As long as you have good air flow/heat exchange, it shouldn't effect your hardware choices. Buy the gear you want, then adjust your fans to match your needs. I use all Sythe fans, 2 'Ultra-Kaze' 130cfms for exhaust, and 3 'Slipstream' 110cfms for intake, +1 'Slipstream' for blowhole exhaust, just in case.
My new build: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe/AMD 6400+ BE/ASUS 'Lion' square cooler, 4 Gs Mushkin 4-4-12, ASUS ENGTX280 video, 2x 150G WD10Krpm- 3x 1TB Seagate Barracudas- 1x 73G Fujitsu 15Krpm, Asus lightscribe DVD burner, Hyper 880W PS, Apevia G-XJupiter.