Build Stork's computer.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I'm finally going to build my own computer. Yes thats right!

< going to build it. (peice it togeather anyhow.) What I need from you guys is some general idea about what exactly I should get. So this thread will be about the following. What would you recomend...?

The next few things are the restrictions on the thread as far as ideas go.

1. Price tag needs to come in around $1,500-2,000. (not including the screen/speakers) $100 or so over the 2k is ok but $150 is pushing it!

2. Parts need to be available in stores. (I'll be getting my parts at fry's most likely, trust me they have as much or more than some websites)

3. Post the entire system, head to toe with an estimated price... (please try to be close and if possible over estimate.)

So get cracking!

P.s. Hey Tech-Daddy! I'll be shopping for these parts and peices at the Fry's off of 635, Id be willing to spend a very small consulting fee for a walk through of the store with a "get this but not this" sort of thing. You know you wanna go to Fry's anyhow, this is just a really good excuse!

madmat

Soup Nazi
Since I have no clue as to what Fry's carries (never seen one) I won't attempt to help.

Now if you were getting it all at a "real" PC parts outlet such as newegg I could help.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Agreed, you're going to pay more in markup at a retail store, and Newegg has great shipping rates. You'll have no problem getting anything you want online and most of the time it's cheaper.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Alright go ahead and include internet builds... But dotn go too crazy with some special sale on something that wont be on sale by the time i buy it.

P.s. Consider Fry's to be like a huge warehouse like mega store of electronical equipment. Bigger than a Dillards or JC penny for instance... Bigger than a football field or two (I'm not kidding) The one in arlignton has alot of close out and other types of things for things ranging from comp boxes and fans to remote control cars and rocket kits that just never sold w/e they were on the shelf. It is truely a holy place worth the journey for most nerds atleast one in their lifetime. But the mecca, the ultimate place is that of their store off of 635 *check on actual city thats in?* There they actually have a starbucks and a few food places. Just on the other side of the starbucks is what I call the RC pit. Inside there are 8-10 remote control vehicles closed off in boxes of the product inwhich you play with them. Near that is about 5-6 isles of wires cord and such that can only be described as a "modders" section. On the other side fo it for example is a huge section with nothing but computer cases. Then there is a vast area of comp parts, cards, printers cameras, keyboards (Ive nver seen a place with 2 isles for keyboards before), and ALOT of other computer related products. Beyond this there is the monitors and a few rows of them, then finally the video card section. I'll compare the video card section the that of most bestbuys computersections... PLuss a big wall on one side about 9ft high with nothign but video cards. Then you finally get to the prebuilt computers off the side (not a small section but eh w/e) The middle section of the store by the starbucks has a HUGE software section with title ranging from presetn day to about 10-years ago.

I have just described to you less than half of this store... YES im serious. Less than half of the store. Fry's makes money on VOLUME.

Oh and their plasma T.V. section is something to write home about.

Last edited:

madmat

Soup Nazi
I'm pretty certain that minus the food and RC vehicles that newegg probably has them beat when it comes to PC part selection. Stop to consider that newegg is the retail section of ABS Computers and they're pretty much capable of making anything your little black heart could desire.

Not that I wouldn't mind running (naked) through Fry's at least once before I die, but, I'm just a techno junkie.

Seriously though, I'll try to figure something out that won't bankrupt a third world nation.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
3 a.m...Drunk and tired.

I will figure something out for you in the morning but its off to bed now. I can/will configure you a killer rig for 2 large bro.

Frye's is the shit!

madstork91

The One, The Only...
At at my sisters apt right now logged in on her roomates comp so ill have to limit the response but ill get back to you later on somethings.

Any idea what to comperable stats on the processor are in Intel? I am thinking about finally making the switch but it is a bit harder for someone like me to make a decent comparison when littel to nothing to me is known on the subject since I've known noting but pentium for years.

I like the video card! Hell yeah as a matter of fact. 300 aint that bad from what i remeber looking up a few months back when most of the 7800s were in the $400 range still.

As for the mobo, is it sli compatible? Like i said I'm not logged in with much time on my hands and I'll be walking out the door for church anytime now. Thats something I'll have to look up later as well as the max ram for it. I know the 2g ram is nice, and will probably be more than enough for years to come, problem is with the way i buy computers it needs to be ready to be expanded for years upon years to come.

Edit: Mysister needed the laptop for a second.

Something else, the sound card? That particular Mobo might include a built in sound card but i was hoping to finally get around to having a decnt sound card. (Good thing that build comesin for so cheap :) still got room to buy one.)

Last edited:

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I did some price checking and over all in stock check at frye's today... :(

True I did go to the old one in Arlington (I was in the area at my sisters), but the lack cheap prodcts knocked me off of my feet. They seem to have raised their average prices quite alot on everything from video cards to screens. They even only had a single flat screen high def monitor (not flat panel) for 128 or so... :( Not one monitor for < $100. This has seriously disapointed me.

The only thing I saw close comparible on prices was the dual core amd sli compatible mobo (around $350)

o and I know I was at the older store and that they looked as if they were sold out of alot of them but there was only one... i repeat one 256 GeForce 6200 card (agp) at the store. I was cheap but still...

I did find a tv tuner card with dvd writting software, remote, vide out in and decent trimmings for 54.99 :) I think I found one I like.

I'll be ordering online (newegg.com did look nice)

Word.

E.M.I.
Madmat, Very nice setup. You got all the goods in there.
7800gt, AMD 64 3700, and for a price of 1.3k its good.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
so no one else posting anything else leads me to believe that rig is the ultimate at this time... am I wrong? (the build is nice... especially since that vid card comes with a free mobo right now)

ANyhow... The video card spot I think has be definatly been filled. :) I like the stats/reviews/and general info.

I would like some more info on sli from some of you... I'm kinda a newb in that area.

P.s. The girl on Jerry springer is atually hot as hell. Normally the guy cheats on an ugly beast with an uglier bitch... She actually put on a jerry springer shirt instead of staying naked. (a self repsecting gal on JS? WTF? Talk about a shock talk show, im blown away!)

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I agree with Matt for the most part. Stork, I don't exactly recommend the free mobo that comes with the video card.. it's free for a reason.

I'd not bother with the 3700+ Sandy tho.. For $50 less I'd just get the 3200+ Venice or even 3000+. If you are not going to overclock, you are going to get the same speed on both processors if you choose to use the memory at stock speeds at 1:1.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If no overclocking is involved, I don't think the processor is going to matter that much, and 1MB Cache is not something you want to pay $50 for.

"I've been seeing guys hitting 2.9ghz on air and 3.0 ghz on water."

Is Stork going to be overclocking? If answer == no then
3200+ Venice 512K Cache == 2.5GHz or
3700+ San Diego 1MB Cache == 2.5GHz

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
"So the $50 nets you 10% more speed AND 1mb L2 cache. I'd say that those 2 combined net quite a performance difference and I'd say AMD agrees hence the 500 difference in the rating..."

Yes, if you are using stock. If you are using memory at 1:1, they are the exact same speed, therefore $61 for 512Kb extra cache.

3700+ San Diego = $235.00 / 11 = $21.36 per 200MHz
3200+ Venice = $174.00 / 10 = $17.40 per 200MHz

With that memory, running 1:1 is not a problem in the least. Both CPU's support a 2.5GHz overclock without a hitch; I hardly consider it an overclock because they both take it so well.

Therefore: According to 1:1 on the memory, he would technically be paying $61 more for the extra 512KB L2 Cache.

I can't stress how important that extra 512KB cache is :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Let me go ahead and chime in here since I actually own the proc in question. I have owned the 2.2 GHz 3500+ Winchester and am currently rocking the 2.2 GHz 3700+ San Diego. I can tell absolutly ZERO differance between the the Winchester and the Sandy with twice the L2. The San Diego will however overclock better than my old Winchester. It's basically comes down to what you want but if you aren't going to overclock, I would just get the 3500+ Venice for just a bit over 200 dollars and still have a 2.2 GHz chip.

This really isnt a big deal. Coming from his last PC, this new one, regardless of the CPU, will feel like sex to him.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
madmat said:
Um, last time I checked 11x250 comes out to a wee bit more than 2500...more like 2750....and you're saying you doubt he will OC so that puts them at their stock speeds of 2.0 and 2.2...

As far as I know, the 3700+ can use a 10x multiplier.

Even if he doesn't overclock, I don't see how 200MHz justifies $61.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
DarkSynergy said:
Let me go ahead and chime in here since I actually own the proc in question. I have owned the 2.2 GHz 3500+ Winchester and am currently rocking the 2.2 GHz 3700+ San Diego. I can tell absolutly ZERO differance between the the Winchester and the Sandy with twice the L2. The San Diego will however overclock better than my old Winchester. It's basically comes down to what you want but if you aren't going to overclock, I would just get the 3500+ Venice for just a bit over 200 dollars and still have a 2.2 GHz chip.

This really isnt a big deal. Coming from his last PC, this new one, regardless of the CPU, will feel like sex to him.

Well, in overclocking regards, I have gotten 2.9 out of this 'junky' WC rig, so for $174 CPU, I consider that to be great. Sure, the 3700+ can OC too, but for an additional $61.

Just my opinion.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
For a non overclocker, I could probably justify spending that for an extra 200 MHz. Thats just me though.

And between the two, it dont matter at all. That 7800 will allow him to play any game out there so this little "spat" over 200 MHz is absurd to me.