BTX Form Factor

Will Nave

E.M.I.
Anybody heard any recent news as to when (and what if so) companies will be launching MoBo's made to this form factor and/or whether we would be required to purchase a new case to acclimate it? :roll:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's a good question..

I haven't heard much about them for awhile, but as far as I know, it would require a new tower. Since the BTX are supposed to be made in three seperate sizes, I would assume that one would fit your current case size.

Hopefully we will find out more about them soon..

Will Nave

E.M.I.
3 different sizes?

So... Micro-BTX, BTX, and... UBER-BTX??? :shock:

I could care which size I get as long as I can get my hands on PCIx... /drool

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I was thinking of this, being the sizes.

And yeah, PCIe would be great to have. Next motherboard I get will be PCIe for sure.

GapDragon

Obliviot
BTX-es

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that BTX Mobo sizes will be:
BTX
Micro-BTX
Nano-BTX -- this will be the model aimed at putting Shuttle out of business.

I'll be REALLY interested in building an SFF computer when I can do it without the proprietary parts.

R.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Aye, so am I. I have never built a SFFPC before, but BTX looks like it would be a great start.

We will start learning a lot more about it soon hopefully.

D

Ducceus

Hey Rob , are you Deathspawner on lineage.warcry.com ?? i got a link to here from greever :)>

tomato

Obliviot
Sorry to open up an old thread, but has BTX gone the way of the dinosaur before ever being released? IE: vapourware?:confused:

Gateway, Dell, and Alienware all have BTX systems on the market. Falcon is toying with one. The mobos just aren't available on the open market yet.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
From what I've seen BTX looks exactly like ATX just upside-down. That would put today's cards fan up giving you some eye candy if you have a window. I wouldn't say the motherboards aren't available, considering you can use your current one just swapped. No, that's not the standard form factor for BTX motherboards but you can do it. It wouldn't work for the new A8n32-Sli because of the heat-pipe design, but most any other board would do fine in a btx style. If installed like that you would need a case with a window on the right side instead of on the left, as most are now. It's really not a big change just something new that people haven't become accustomed to yet. I like ATX just fine and I'm pretty sure it's here for a good long while.

werty316

Partition Master
Yeah it is pretty much that the board is upside down. Some cases like Lian-Li have them setup so your board is upside down like a BTX board. This is good for video cards so the cooler/heatsink are upward and the heat can disperse better.

Actually, it's quite a bit more than just being upside-down. One, the processor is toward the middle of the mobo, rather than closer to the top. The proc is also relocated to the front edge of the mobo, closer to the intake fans, rather than toward the rear as on ATX boards.

The PCIe slots are on the opposite end of the mobo (if you look at the quasi-BTX cases that use ATX mobos, the slots are at the top of the board when installed, BTX mobos move them to the other end, so they're once again on the bottom).

Power connections are also relocated to the top edge of the board, rather than a middle-ish location like most current ATX boards.

It's not just a case of turning an ATX mobo upside down and calling it BTX, it's a complete layout redesign.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Yeah that's the standard BTX style. It's an improvement over using a regular ATX board turned around. I was just saying that you can do it. I really don't know why BTX was even created. It really doesn't offer an improvement over ATX, as far as design goes. I'd rather have my cards "fan up", but when you stop to think, the cooler air is at the bottom of the case. It may catch on though, I don't know. It'll be nice to see what progresses.

spiffyp

Obliviot
From what I've seen, BTX actually does help to produce more effective airflow when implemented correctly.
That there being the important part.
The case & the mobo need to be built just right in order for it to work.

Jakal said:
Yeah that's the standard BTX style. It's an improvement over using a regular ATX board turned around. I was just saying that you can do it. I really don't know why BTX was even created. It really doesn't offer an improvement over ATX, as far as design goes. I'd rather have my cards "fan up", but when you stop to think, the cooler air is at the bottom of the case. It may catch on though, I don't know. It'll be nice to see what progresses.

The major part of the design is moving cabling from the middle of the board to the upper and lower edges, and aligning the hotter power capacitors with the proc. The BTX design standard calls for a "wind tunnel" across the proc and hottest mobo componenets, completely unobstructed by connecting cables, northbridge fans, etc etc.

As far as the vid card fans go, you're right, cooler air is at the bottom, and in a pure BTX setup, so are the PCIe vid cards. Pointing the fans upwards puts the airflow over the vid card HSF squarely in the middle of the intake fan flow, rather than below it with a solid PCIe card between the fan and the cool airflow. As it stands now, your PCIe or AGP card is mounted below the intake fans, and upside down. All the vid card HSF is taking in is recycled hot case air. By turning the card upside down, and putting an intake fan directly above the HSF............ :D

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Not in a Thermaltake Armor case with a Zalman 9500 and an Arctic Cooler 5 :D.

I can see that as a positive, though. Anything that increases airflow through the case is an improvement. The setup I have stays cool. The Zalman blows right over the caps being exhausted by the 120mm, 80mm, and psu fans. Like I said. It'll be interesting to see what progresses.

I want one of those cases. That's my next biggish upgrade, really. I'm still using a $40 generic mid-tower "x-window" case with the cheese slicer edges. Actually, it's not half bad for airflow, I'm just too crowded in there now. It's low on the list of priorities, though........since my CD burner just crapped the bed last night.

liqnit

E.M.I.
my guess the BTX will take it part if intel will decide to male it a fact .
when it decide that from now on all intel chipset will require the manufacturer to use BTX .
when that happens it will make it very popular and probably AMD will join after some time.
like the DDR2 - AMD joined when the market is ready