Broadband Over Gas Lines

liqnit

E.M.I.
It sounds starnge but appearntly possible.
"USA Today says we might see some progress in broadband over gas pipes, as startup Nethercomm (warning: Flash site) is working on the technology to deliver broadband Internet over this medium using ultrawideband radio. According to the article: 'Broadband in Gas would require installation of an ultrawideband transmitter that's linked to an Internet backbone... at a gas company's network hub. A receiver would be placed at a customer's gas meter. Build-out costs are about $200 per household, Nethercomm says. By contrast, broadband over power lines costs about $600 per household, while phone and cable TV networks each cost well over $1,000 per home to build.'"
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/09/11/1933214

what do you think???

T-Shirt

E.M.I.
A great idea, technically feasible, relitively simple, makes use of a wide spread existing infastructure, none of the interferce issues associated with BPL (broadband over powerline).
The entry costs are low enough that it could become very competive with other internet/ television/ telephone providers, and still provide a generous new revenue/rapid payback, it only needs some large gas utilities to make the commitment to start installing it.
Once install it should provide even greater reliablity then cable and telephone providers can offer and like FIOS, it is a passive network i.e. power is only required at the headend/node and the home.
I would like to see it here, if only to offer a 3rd (4th if you count DSL)
truely high speed option.

Last edited:

liqnit

E.M.I.
maybe we will see in the near future people turning on the stove and the internat at the same time ;)

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I dunno... "blue flame" and "Blue Screen" are just too close in my book....
;)

I lol'd :D

This is a pretty ingenious idea. Increasing telecommunications throughout the nation, and possibly world. T-Shirt has already covered the basics so I'll leave it at that. Good job!

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Assuming it is possible many areas that are old and behind the times in their wire needs for high speed communication might finally be able to bridge that gap in a cheaper more cost effective way. I know plenty of places where telecommunications companies simply will not run the necessary cables for high speed internet due to the low income nature of older residences. But those older places generally have something in common... Gas Stoves, or atleast the piping for it.

I can think of atleast a few places out in the boonies here in Texas that are begging for highspeed internet access, but fall under both of those catagories.

I like the Idea.