Boycotting Apple? You Shouldn't Stop There

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Apple last week posted its most impressive revenue statement to date, and with it came renewed calls for a boycott of the company's products. The reason I'm sure will come as no surprise. Foxconn has been in the news many times over the past year or so due to its abnormally high rate of employee suicides and poor worker conditions, and since it manufactures most of Apple's products, it's not hard to make the connection.

apple_ipad_013012.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Some of these people would sell their own mothers for 5 cents. But it's like the income disparity. People love to flap gums about it, but in the end they do nothing.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Some of these people would sell their own mothers for 5 cents. But it's like the income disparity. People love to flap gums about it, but in the end they do nothing.

That's just it. And unfortunately, even if you decide to go "pro American" or whatever, no one else is going to. And even if 10% of the entire population stopped purchasing Asian-built products, the companies who manufacture there aren't going to care.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Remember Mitt Romney saying people are only poor if they want to be poor? Following that logic, the Chinese workers deserve to be mistreated. It's their own fault they're where they are. In fact, the employers should be commended for giving them slave wages!

I just thought of something interesting. Fender, the guitar company, still has factories in the US. The US and Mexico factories are, so I'm told, about a mile from each other near the border. They must be one of the few hold-outs!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I just thought of something interesting. Fender, the guitar company, still has factories in the US. The US and Mexico factories are, so I'm told, about a mile from each other near the border. They must be one of the few hold-outs!

It's nice to see companies value their own people over a few extra bucks. It's the kind of thing companies could be proud to boast about. But Fender in the grand scheme makes pennies compared to Apple. Apple by producing things overseas no doubt sees far, far more revenue than had they kept production inside of the US (billions extra each quarter I am sure, although this is nothing more than a hunch).

marfig

No ROM battery
The process of Globalization reared its ugly head around the late 20th century when the world become more competitive and the market became increasingly more global. In certain sectors of our economy, companies can display profits that rival the national budgets of many small countries. This isn't possible simple because companies sell under strict copyright laws to a global market. This is possible mostly because manufacturing costs have been greatly reduced by localizing production on countries that are willing to maintain a low wages policy and which laws are intolerant of workers unions. As a corollary, I'm constantly reminded of one recent ministry of finance over here in Portugal that once had the gall to say that Portugal should be attractive to foreign investment due to its general low salary.

Remember Mitt Romney saying people are only poor if they want to be poor? Following that logic, the Chinese workers deserve to be mistreated. It's their own fault they're where they are. In fact, the employers should be commended for giving them slave wages!

By his logic it's also Americans fault they lost their factories. And, as a consequence, his own fault. Unfortunately we've had several millennia to build societies based on government principles that increasingly reduce population movements against their rulers. Democracy is the latest fad on a new logic of "better make them sleepy than crush them with our military. We need the tax money".

It's very hard to sympathize with anyone who feels we are entirely responsible for our condition (poor or rich, we have the ability to chose, he says). Especially when he's addressing millions of former workers who didn't own the factories from which they were fired from.

[
]I just thought of something interesting. Fender, the guitar company, still has factories in the US. The US and Mexico factories are, so I'm told, about a mile from each other near the border. They must be one of the few hold-outs!

Conversely, Apple used to brag it was a 100% American company.

I think American workers are better off making American flags. Apparently, The FMAA has been successfully reverting a tendency of the country to import american flags from china since 2001. Now, there's a job with a future. Certainly beats being an Apple factory employee on today's USA. And Romney will never blame a poor underpaid American if he's making a national symbol.

Last edited:

MacMan

Partition Master
People who call for an Apple boycott are all bogus. Why stop there indeed. The same factories that churn out iPods, iPhone's, etc., also churn out Xbox's, HP computers, Dell, etc., so why pick on poor little Apple (poor and little my foot)?

The fact of the matter, according to Apple is that they really have no choice: Americans have priced themselves out of the market!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesl...e-u-s-doesnt-make-iphones-we-wouldnt-want-to/

When it comes to Apple they are no saints, I'm sure, but picking on Apple is for reasons other than really caring about Chinese workers. These people are just trying to get hits, knowing that the very name of Apple acts like a type of lightning rod. As I wrote on my own little practice blog, despite the so-called abuse of workers, Chinese men and women are lining up by the thousands hoping to work for Foxxcon which is doubling the number of workers in one Chinese city to keep up with the demand for Apple products by adding, get this.... an extra 100,000 workers! That's almost as many people in my hometown of Saint John with only 127,000 people!

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
There's probably nothing better than Foxconn; that's why people want to work there. But being better than the next most horrible thing isn't really to be congratulated. It's like saying Mussolini was better than Hitler.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
There's probably nothing better than Foxconn; that's why people want to work there. But being better than the next most horrible thing isn't really to be congratulated. It's like saying Mussolini was better than Hitler.

Yeah, that's the problem. I hate seeing people make excuses for Foxconn because other companies are no doubt much worse. As if that makes it better for any of the workers we're talking about.