Borderlands - What a Co-Op Game Should Be

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As I've mentioned on the site many times before, I tend to have a strange problem where if a game doesn't immediately look interesting to me, I'll never look too deep into it, despite how popular it might be. The truth is, though, that it's rare when I play a game and still hold the same first opinion. There was Civilization V, for example.

Read the rest of our post and discuss it here!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Let me know when you're ready to take on Crawmerax. He's a pain in the ass for sure but drops the phatest of lootz.

EDIT: The new patch was just released today that increases the level cap. Time to kick some claptrap!

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Curious, did you log in yet and were you alraedy level 69? Apparently any XP you earned after level 61 in conjunction with some quest leveled soem people to 69 instantly when they logged in. That kind of takes the fun out of things, doesn't it?

We'll definitely hook up in the game at some point... I just need to gain a lot more levels first. 26 at the moment, and it wouldn't surprise me if I was through the first playthrough by next week. I just want to get as far as I can before games like Black Ops and Hot Pursuit get here,becasue those are going to dominate my game time :-S

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I've heard about that today. I'm not sure if we'll be level 69 or not but we did a lot of stuff after we hit 61.

Both play throughs for the main game, play through 1 of Moxxi's, play through 2 of Knoxx and Dr. Ned. Did the people who hit 69 play all the way through the Claptrap DLC? If that's the case then I could see retroactive experience coming from it.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
WOW did I ever make a lot of typos in that post! I'm a little ashamed :eek:

Optix said:
Both play throughs for the main game, play through 1 of Moxxi's, play through 2 of Knoxx and Dr. Ned. Did the people who hit 69 play all the way through the Claptrap DLC?

I am not sure who it affects, but a lot of players seem to have put hundreds of hours into the game, so they might have done more than just two playthroughs, I'm not sure.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Well, I just patched the game, logged in and poof, level 69.

Not sure I dig that but really Borderlands is just a treasure hunting 1st person shooter with RPG elements sprinkled in for good measure. Time find me some phat lootz!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Bah, now I have an even FURTHER way to go to catch up ;-)

You ever play in the arenas? Gave one a go last night... pretty fun.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
My friend and I went into one of the arenas but nobody must have been looking for a fight.

I'll pop in and check out what my alts are at. It's no fun when someone brings in their level 50 into a level 20 game. Maybe we can tear it up on Friday. My little guy is sick right now so I'd be going AFK a lot. By the weekend he should be better and I'll be ready to blow stuff up.

I just hope he's in good enough shape to go see The Wiggles tonight.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
My friend and I went into one of the arenas but nobody must have been looking for a fight.

I am not sure what you mean by that. The arenas are for deathmatch or team deathmatch. You go in there to gain the ability to kick each other's asses :D It's pretty good fun, though if someone has an incredible weapon, it shows.

I'd love to hook up in-game soon, and you basically highlighted one of the few faults that this game has... level restrictions. It'd be nice if it didn't matter what level you were, but could still get together and kill bosses and the like. That kind of feature reminds me of something Final Fantasy XI has, where if a high-level character wants to hunt with a low-level character, the game scales the high-level character down to the low-level character's level... it's nice.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Well, it doesn't quite work that way. Whoever is hosting the game will have enemies at their level. If I'm 61 and join you at 22 then the enemies will be at your level and I can rain down firey gibblets of death.

I meant that there is no fun in someone bringing a high level character into a low level game because they kill everything before you have a chance.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
I've been playing this game ever since it came it and feel like this games value even new has been well worth it. This is what coop should be, takes notes COD and every other imitation. I am not saying they should be glorified MMO, FPS games, what I am saying is that they need to be fun and involving to ever one involved! Glad you like the game and happy hunting!