Blu Ray Burning Software

TheFocusElf

Obliviot
With the ever expanding size of ... wait for it ... storage media (sorry for the let down), I use external burnable media about as often as... well hardly ever to be honest. I think the last software I used to use, nearly 5-8 years ago was called Nero Burning Rom or something like that. I typed into google, Blu Ray Burning Software, and got all these options which I am sure are burgeoning with bloatware.

I am burning a DATA disc, essentially with family photos from the DSLR and the external HDD for archiving. I don't need some fancy bloated wizard's help. I just want to quickly burn and go. I plan to make 2-3 copies of each for the purposes of redundancy and keep them in our fire safe (so much easier than storing the old-timey photo albums -- just a couple dozen jewel cases!).

Any recomendations on a straight forward burning tool that I can use that is low impact? I don't mind paying a couple bucks either, I just want to get something that works, doesn't take all the system resources senselessly, and that I can summarily uninstall afterward. Thank you chiefs!

<3 Techgage

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The latest Nero can handle Blu-rays no problem. Apart from that, I have no idea. I haven't kept up on BD-ROM burning at all.

http://www.nero.com/enu/products/nero-burning-rom/

While BD-ROMs are dirt-cheap, I'd recommend considering just purchasing a large hard drive and storing things on it instead. This is more for convenience than anything else. You wouldn't have to deal with individual discs, and the speed would be a lot faster as well. For storage, I'd keep the original box that the drive came in, which should be small, because they allow the drive to float inside, so bumps won't affect it.

Of course, if you don't actually need to store hundreds of GBs, then a hard drive isn't the best option.

I just checked Newegg, and $27 will get you 750GB of BD-ROM storage. Not bad at all. It's too bad Nero costs like $50.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
I second using a Hard drive instead of BD, much better storage density compared to price, and honstly, a little more stable too (less prone to scratches). If you want to go with the free software route without the bloat (and just for strait-up data and no transcoding stuff for movies etc) - IMGBURN is about as basic as you can get. It'll even rip, make and burn ISOs too.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
For some reason I thought Imgburn was -just- for ISOs. Didn't realize you could burn regular data with it.