Bloated Windows error reporting?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I ran CCleaner earlier since I haven't in a while, and I discovered that for some reason, the "Windows Error Reporting" service has been hogging about 1.4GB of hard drive space. I have been running CCleaner for years and have never spotted an anomaly like this before. Anyone have an idea of what would cause Error Reporting to use up so much space?

Attachments

• windows_error_reporting.png
    windows_error_reporting.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 470

marfig

No ROM battery
Take a look at here first: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/serious-disk-cleanup-problem-caused-by-broken-registration/

If CCleaner uses the same registry keys to check the files to delete, you may get these odd values. In the link above you can use the author's cleanmgrfix.reg he links to towards the bottom. It's safe to use in Windows 7. Then run CCleaner again.

As for WER itself. That's the Windows Action Center Maintenance area (Control Panel -> Action Center -> Expand Maintenance Section). A long list of full program failure reports -- and unfinished windows updates? -- can add up to disk usage. But 1.4 GB seems a bit too excessive. If however, after running the fix above, you still get that value, then 1.4 GB it is.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, I went ahead with the cleaning after I ran the scan, so I no longer have the problem. It was in fact 1.4GB, however, as I monitored the free disk space on that drive before and after I ran CCleaner. You're right though... 1.4GB for what should just be a bunch of reports in plain text is a little odd.