Bill Gates to step down in 2008

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
REDMOND, Wash. — June 15, 2006 — Microsoft Corp. today announced that effective July 2008 Bill Gates, chairman, will transition out of a day-to-day role in the company to spend more time on his global health and education work at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. The company announced a two-year transition process to ensure that there is a smooth and orderly transfer of Gates’ daily responsibilities, and said that after July 2008 Gates would continue to serve as the company’s chairman and an advisor on key development projects.

Regardless of what people say, it's been a fun ride with Bill at the top ;)

He obviously cares about how things are going to transition, because he's allowing two full years to train his replacement.

Press Release

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I know Bill is a very hands on kind of guy. He gives his input at every level of software production. I'm sure he'll stick around and supervise projects, just to a lesser degree. His predecessor will likely do the same thing. If anything this will allow different ideas and ways of thinking.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I dont care what anyone says, it's going to be hard to not think of Bill Gates when one things of Microsoft. No, it isn't leaving for good but its kind of an end of an era and it kind of makes me sad. Best of luck in the philanthropy though, such a noble cause.
<o:p> </o:p>

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If anybody should step down, it should be Ballemer. I am never sure what that guy is doing. At least Bill is stepping down to further something he feels strongly about.

RazorBack

E.M.I.
Oh, this is interesting. I wonder what the future has... new people new ideas. It can only be good, especially as Bill will still be here to give the thumbs up/down to stuff.

However Microsoft still have an awful lot of work to do....

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Say what you will about bill, but ive always felt the money he gave to charities and such wasnt a publicity stunt or a tax write off.

But eh... you guys know me, I love windows ;-p

I would like to at this time in this post make my unofficial shameless attempt at applying for his job. I'm creative... and id want a 200k/yr salary tops...