BF3 Min & Rec Specs released from Gamestop

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Good shit kayden. Im gonna go smack my columbian friend and ask him to show me what the hell he was seeing during the level load tests. There rarely is any official information on the engines threading.

As far as what I read that still stands as written on paper. As i said I can only go off what I can get from others and the info you gave me is good. As well as a good source that says different.

The HT allows a low priority thread waiting to be put through the execution stage to take advantage of the down time when the priority thread has a cache miss or is waiting for additional data. Games don't have a lot of low priority threads and alot of their work is sequential and dependent on the result of a previous thread. Making HT not an advantage at times and occasionally a burden.

Now as I will often throw back in on the 6 core. Were running the game on 4 cores, doesn't mean we cant utilize the other two cores. Mind you most of us would rather not have more than necessary going on. I could leave my single threaded image converter which will chew up a single core going with a 3,000 image task while I go game. I sadly cant do crap at the moment when that things going. Same architecture at the same clock speed doesn't hurt to have more cores most of the time. Truth as it usually is the higher core count chips often don't come clocked as high.

I defiantly agree you can only go off of what you have been told, just glad you were able to find what I posted enlightening.

I still think a 6 core is worth a buy for what I said before and what you mentioned, the only problem is directly for games it wont help unless you like to keep multiple programs running in the background. I plan to go to 6 core or just wait for Ivy and see if 8 cores comes out for it, because I try to double my upgrades if possible. I do keep things running in background myself like Speedfan and Sir Real LCD Panel that give my real time info on temps and other basic info, not to mention my browser or other social apps.

However I think the HT helps keep those programs from causing other performance issues because on the AMD 4x4 I would sometimes have a spike in lower FPS when they were running but not so with my i7. I fixed it on my 4x4 btw by dropping the updating intervals with speedfan on my 4x4 but with the i7 it's all default and no problems at all, this was with games using quad core but any game using 2 core I had no problems. This is why I think HT is major advantage over AMD and I am glad I made the switch back Intel.

I cant wait to get off this dual core pos lol. Though my first sandy bridge chip is going to be 4 core, Im hopping on the ivy bandwagon before i spend real money.

I feel your pain dude! I had to go back to my AMD 5200 for a while because my 4x4 mobo died and just waiting for boot was painful. I was so happy to go back to quad, if it wasn't for me having this mobo sitting around cause they couldn't replace my 4x4 one, I would have jumped on Sandy bridge but I got the i7 950 because I wanted to use that mobo I got. I hope nothing else changes for you and can get off dual because it's getting left behind now for games now and we all need as much FPS as we can get. (c;

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
I feel your pain dude! I had to go back to my AMD 5200 for a while because my 4x4 mobo died and just waiting for boot was painful. I was so happy to go back to quad, if it wasn't for me having this mobo sitting around cause they couldn't replace my 4x4 one, I would have jumped on Sandy bridge but I got the i7 950 because I wanted to use that mobo I got. I hope nothing else changes for you and can get off dual because it's getting left behind now for games now and we all need as much FPS as we can get. (c;

Im going from a Laptop with a T9600 OC@3.3 Ghz and a 9800M GS with GTS bios and a 15.6 inch 1366x768 screen to an i5-2500K, Dual GTX 570's and a 27 inch 1080P Its gonna be a hell of a upgrade. I am in the main component waiting stage. Will get my first GPU and monitor in October when BF3 is coming out and my second GPU sometime after.

As you say as long as life doesn't pull a fast one lol. As far as ivy goes i dont expect anything spectacular on 1155 but I will go for a 4 core 8 threader then if thats all they have.

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Ivy Bridge may drive Sandy Bridge prices down so stay tuned. The only problem is, IB won't be out until at least Q1 2012 so I'm biting the bullet, going SB and will look at IB when it launches since they will use the same socket.