Best Stable and Cheap Overclock for AMD socket 939?

SqueekyClean

Obliviot
I wanted to know what the highest overclock that anyone was able to achieve for an AMD socket 939 processor. There is a catch though. I want to know only for cheap overclock methods, like air cooling or cheap water cooling, and I want to know only stable overclocks. Do not list any overclocks that are unstable.

phonywish

Obliviot
The best overclock I had on my personal AMD processor, which happens to be a socket 939, was 2.5 GHZ. 250 mhz times 10 multiplier. It is a winchester core.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
This is one of my better ones...........;)

superpi3086bd.jpg

adabo24

Obliviot
A socket 939 amd processor, which is overclocked to 2.8 gigahertz on a cheap water cooling kit. The water cooling kit was only $100 and only cools the processor. It has been running this way for a year, and it is completely stable.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
My personal best on my 3700+ San Diego core, which can be found now for just over 200 dollars, is 2.9 GHz on air. I was using a Thermaltake Blue Orb II cooler with the fan at max speeds.

Here is my CPU validation...

This was with a significant bump in voltage though. I do however run my PC at 2.6 GHz 24/7 which is the exact same clocks, on the exact same core, as an FX-55. I can do this without any problems at all.

werty316

Partition Master
I got my 3000+ venice form 1.8GHz to 2.8GHz @ 1.7V using air which at the time I didin't know I should have done. Your best bet is probably a 144 or 146 Opteron or 3000+ venice

liqnit

E.M.I.
werty316 said:
I got my 3000+ venice form 1.8GHz to 2.8GHz @ 1.7V using air which at the time I didin't know I should have done. Your best bet is probably a 144 or 146 Opteron or 3000+ venice
what spepping is your CPU?
what air cooling you use

werty316

Partition Master
I can't tell you the stepping as I have no idea what it is. I guess I could have written it down when I switched out coolers a few weeks ago. As for cooling I was using a TT POLO735 on a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum board. Not sure if my Asus K8N-E board can get to 2.8GHz but I don't think I will even try. Also I am using a TT Big Typhoon now too which is much better than the POLO735.

MaRm

Obliviot
werty316 said:
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum board. Not sure if my Asus K8N-E board can get to 2.8GHz but I don't think I will even try.

The MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum is one of the best overclocking motherboards. I got one :)

adabo24

Obliviot
Getting back on subject. My system is overclocked on air cooling to 2.44 ghz. 244 x 10 multiplier. 1.50 voltage. Runs 24/7 at this speed.

MaRm

Obliviot
werty316 said:
The K8N Neo4 Diamond pretty much takes over where the Neo2 Plat left off.

I wouldn't mind seeing a comparison between the K8N Neo4 and the K8N Neo2 with a list of features they have in common and features that one or the other are missing.

liqnit

E.M.I.
werty316 said:
I can't tell you the stepping as I have no idea what it is. I guess I could have written it down when I switched out coolers a few weeks ago. As for cooling I was using a TT POLO735 on a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum board. Not sure if my Asus K8N-E board can get to 2.8GHz but I don't think I will even try. Also I am using a TT Big Typhoon now too which is much better than the POLO735.
thanks for the info
what power supply do you use?

gliffy

Obliviot
You can sometimes find a no-name company rebadging Coolermaster products under their name, and get them a bit cheaper that way.

werty316

Partition Master
gliffy said:
You can sometimes find a no-name company rebadging Coolermaster products under their name, and get them a bit cheaper that way.

Sure about that? I don't think CM would let another company do this and I have never seen this; on ROM drives yes but nothing else.