Ballistix PC4000 OC'ing

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I received some Ballistix PC4000 the other day, so of course I had to go see what type of overclocks I could get out of my system.

The results are below.. the memory is completely stable, but the CPU is not.. which is expected since it's still on a stock cooler. With an XP-90 or XP-120 or even Water Cooling, I can bet this would be completely stable.

Attachments

• pc4000_oc.jpg
    pc4000_oc.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 1,083

madmat

Soup Nazi
Very nice OC there man! I take it you got the old bios flashed back in with no further hassles?

I'm very jealous and did I mention you suck :p (you know I'm kidding)

Damn nice OC, I'd say you're ready to get a good WC setup installed in that bad boy.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yes, thanks to you my BIOS is fine. I will try WC one of these days. I'm just always worried I will mess it up and fry the components.

But you know me, I have two of everything lying around anyway, LoL.

One of these days.. then that OC would be stable, no doubt. What WC set up do you recommend anyway?

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Rob Williams said:
What WC set up do you recommend anyway?

Rob, dont forget about the Zalman 7700 and the 7000. I have the 7000 and it kept my A64 3500 Winnie just above 30C idle and never got above 37 under load. The XP 90 and the 120 both are killer heatsinks but I am a fan of the Zalman. Another thing is a heatsink is only as good as the fan you put on it. Thats the problem with the stock HS/F combo that AMD and Intel both bundle with their CPU's have such dinky little fans on then and anything milled that poorly from a block of aluminum isn't going to help you at all. Of course, they were inteded to dissapate the stock heat put off by a CPU at stock settings....thats where we overclockers add another stock heatsink and fan combo to the pile on a shelf :D

Also, for watercooling, as long as you stress test it outside of your case for at least 12 hours, there is nothing to fear. I recommend Danger Den, Koolance makes a decent water block.......there are many that are good, I would just mix and match your peices to suit your needs.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oh yeah man. I have a CPU cooler to review, which may make a 2.8GHz overclock possible. Once I get that thing installed, I'll be tweaking to see if I can push it that far. Would be nice to break the 30sec barrier.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Like everyone without Phase change, ambient temps pretty much make or break your overclocking cap. I was able to get my 3500 Winnie up to 2.75 stable but I had to run a mem divider so that hurt my overall bandwidth. I am stoked to see what this 3700 Sandy can do with the updated mem controller....time will tell I suppose. What is the cooler that you are reviewing? Should the Zalman 9500Cu come to be available, can I call dibs? :D :D :D

That is most deffinately a sub 30 second machine there. Venices are amazing overclocking chips, give it hell!