Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition This Year; Baldur's Gate 3 Around the Corner

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Atari, Overhaul Games and Wizard of the Coast announced yesterday that the development of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition has started and is planned for release starting Summer 2012. Now, please excuse me while I got to the other room to jump and scream of joy without breaking the objectivity of this news article.

bgee_031512_01.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Always read how this is one of the best games to come out! Never played though, sticked with Diablo! Will definitely play this Enhanced Edition!! :D

marfig

No ROM battery
EDIT: Sorry for the wall of text.

Like with many other games, BG needs to be put into an historical perspective if you want to enjoy it. Building too much expectations may not do you good.

I'm uncertain how the enhanced edition will play out for those who haven't played it before, while I'm sure how it will for those who have :D

Back in the late 90s, RPGs were pretty much a dying genre. The old model had been exhausted and whatever game was launched pretty much insisted on first-person party perspective or single hero isometric view. We were generally unaware at the time (until Baldur's Gate happened that is) that SSI's Gold Box fully controllable party could have evolved the genre into a more engaging experience. Also, we were to a large extent unaware that the the party player characters themselves could be an integral party of the story and its narrative, not just agents of the player in the game world.

Ultimately this was leading to a certain disinterest on the genre. Different graphics here, different stories there, but games were at their core carbon copies of each other. Not just that, but the actual core premises of these games were becoming too simplistic and couldn't match the depth of the late 90s titles in other genres.

So, first thing that made Baldur's Gate a classic and respected title to this date is exactly how it broke with the mold and presented us something new and evolved. BG is still today a ruler by which we measure the quality of an RPG. Most important it influenced to this day the need to present players with rich storytelling. It's in fact by no mere chance that the most respect storyteller of all (Planescape: Torment) emerged from BGs team one year later.

Another aspect to BG that helped cement its position was the epic dimension of the two games. Never before something like this had been seen. The original and its sequel are huge and the single expansion pack for each of them adds a whole lot more. Finally we were able to play an RPG that didn't feel like a waste of time.

BG was something entirely new that took the RPG genre by storm and helped redefine it. It's actually curious that this is the one computer game genre that evolved through the largest number of seminal games. And it is still today in need of being redefined. Skyrim, The Witcher, etc are taking us back again to single player characters and first-person perspective, or player characters not a part of the world they live in, but mere agents of gameplay narrative. This doesn't make them inferior games by no means. But helps explain why the RPG genre is so rich in gameplay possibilities and why it has been through so many transformations; RPGs are about telling stories more than anything else, and there's many ways to tell a story.

Meanwhile, the playing party of heroes can still be seen in titles like Dragon Age (my favorite RPG to date, after BG). Few are doing it, once again. And once again we are exhausting the genre because games like Skyrim or The Witcher don't happen often and this gameplay model isn't alone capable of carrying the genre forward for 10 more years. Although, I must say sandboxing helped tremendously the genre. That's another great step forward that one day will in fact be recognized as one of the most important contributions to RPG. This, I suspect, will happen when we gather the technology to develop true interactive and living narratives.

But BG was a game made in 1998 and this is an important thing to keep in mind. Because it was announced no changes will be made to the game, it needs to be said here an now what you can expect from it that isn't in line with modern gaming:

-- Lots and lots of text to read.
-- 2D isometric view.
-- Branched, but still linear game progression
-- 2nd Edition AD&D ruleset (although frankly to me we should have never played 3rd edition)
-- Simplistic combat system (or simplistic by modern standards)

If one can look at the game objectively from the point-of-view of when it was developed, I expect critics to take into consideration this isn't a new game, it's an enhanced edition of a 14 year old game. It shouldn't serve as an opportunity to review again the Baldur's Gate saga, or for any newcomer to evaluate it in function of what other games they are playing today.

There are many ways to tell a story. The RPG genre has historically tried to do just that. What Baldur's Gate did was present us back in 1998 with a whole new way of doing it. A way, that set new standards for games to this date. From Planescape: Torment, to Fallout, to the modern Skyrim, Dragon Age and The Witcher, all of them follow the same basic premises established 14 years ago by Baldur's Gate.

Last edited:

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Oh man I HATE reading the texts where NPCs give u quests! Thats why i hated WoW in the first 5 min i played it! Same with Hellgate: London! :D

If an oldie like Diablo 2 can have voice overs, so should WoW! Not sure bout BG though!

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
You forgot about Neverwinter Nights too!! Not the same dev team, but doesn't matter, still an AD&D game. It's funny, a number of years ago when NWN 2 was about to come out, I decided to pick up the platinum edition of the first game, just to see. Let it be said that I enjoyed the first game with its far inferior graphics than I did the second, and I like me some eye-candy. I got lost in the first game in a good way, despite the single-person perspective. The second crashed and burned for me, it was just too buggy to enjoy, hell, I couldn't play it for the first 2 months because of the bugs (good old Obsidian, killing something before it takes off).

Story telling in games seems to have become a lost art, and it's not entirely the fault of predictable plots. So many games end up taking one of two routes; walls of text with minimal voice-overs, or lots of really bad voice acting. Both situations end up alienating a large part of the audience. I don't mind reading, but when I'm trying to save the world from some apocalyptic event, it slows me down.

The number of companies that make RPGs though is ever decreasing, and the only companies that spring to mind are Bioware, Obsidian (but not for long), and technically Bethesda (they tend to publish more than develop though). Square Enix has really lost its way over the years, but it was nice to see Eidos bring Deus Ex back. Smaller companies just don't have the resources for the full-blown cinematic experience that the mass market desires.

The original Fallout series was another good 2D isometric. But the whole birds-eye view seems to put a lot of people off these days, but this seems to be a generation thing. People brought up on first person can't play third person very well. I'm happy in either/or, but a bad camera in a third person can really kill the experience (not being able to look where you want).

There are plenty of stories out there, even today, just very few add anything to the genre, much like Marfig said. A good story doesn't make a good game. Oh, and by the way, I have yet to play Baldurs Gate, only played NWN. So this enhanced edition may be a good time to start.

Last edited:

marfig

No ROM battery
I own the NWN collector's editon that contains both NWN and NWN 2, plus expansions. I have played the original 3 times since it was launched (which means it's unforgivable I forgot to mention it). But have yet to play the sequel. And I doubt I ever will.

The obligatory patch process for the game is absolutely insane. I actually have to go through all patches (and there's more than a dozen) one at a time. No patch is cumulative. On my internet connection I need around 1 hour to fully patch it.

NWN2 was the most miserable release of the past years. After it, I'd say Elemental: War of Magic comes a close second. Lastly, Fallout: New Vegas. In fact, only recently I lifted my embargo on this game and decided to put it in my wishlist. It's not that it was worse than the others. it wasn't, despite being one big mess. But frankly I was sick and tired of Obsidian screwing their games.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Yes, the downfall of Obsidian is 90% on itself, not publishers withholding funds and shit like that. They did good stories, but they needed better programmers and people who knew what they were doing.

NWN2 was an Obsidian release and honestly, most of the bugs were just unforgivable. How could they create a game with so much content, but prevent people from progressing with save corrupting bugs that crashed the game every time you changed maps. Then there was the wonderful CD check system which was incompatible with older DVD drives, so lots of people couldn't play. Or in New Vegas, corrupting Save games after a patch where you had progressed past a certain point in a quest chain (sometimes 40+ hours in)... I highly doubt it's a lack of testing, as much as people love to blame testers for not 'finding' bugs - but damn.

Anyway, after getting NWN2 working, it wasn't all too bad, though rather shallow in places with the story. The last quarter of the game was just one big rush, trying to build up the feeling of impending doom and such, but without much substance. The group combat system was rather difficult to get to grips with, more so than the first.

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
NWN2 was, quite frankly, garbage in comparison to the original...which I played until my disk wore out the first time, and then I had to buy the platinum or diamond or whatever edition. When the mac version came out, I even did all the arcane trickery needed to install the expansions on it. NWN was a very, very good game. The second, not so much - but I do blame the bugs more than the game for that. The bugs were SO bad as to make it quite difficult to enjoy, and the writing felt improperly paced, is I think the best way to describe it. Good story, just told in fits and starts.

But BG2...that's stuff that legends are born from.

As Rob can attest to, there are VERY few games I get in a tizzy over. My top 5 of all time (in no particular order) have been Thief: The Dark Project, BG2, Super Mario 3, Final Fantasy VII and Deus Ex for as long as I can remember. And sadly, no game in modern times has even come close to touching one of those. I go back to them again and again. My 6-10 slots are all great games (in my opinion - Half Life 2, Morrowind, Mega Man 2, Ultima 7 and Doom2) as well, but I don't think any of them hold a candle to those top 5. If I were not allowed to play another new game ever, I could live with that if I still had access to those five.

Everything about BG2 can be summed up in one word - Epic. You have a dynamic party with members who converse between themselves, like or hate each other, and have their own agendas - in ways that make Dragon Age: Origins just seem...shallow. They will leave if they don't like you or your actions. The main difficulty rises with your experience appropriately but there are places you will simply get your ass handed to you if you don't heed the warnings...there's no "auto-leveling" crap like in Oblivion. The sidequests are long and varied and you cannot do all of them in a single play through by virtue of the fact that your character's decisions shape what is available a ways down the road, in a non-obvious fashion. The story is long and winding and interesting at each turn...and those turns change as well based on your party and your playstyle. But above all - and this is a big one - the game never feels "cheap". It can be DIFFICULT and you may have to replay certain battles multiple times to get the right strategy for your team, but the line between victory and defeat is always in the player's control.

Like Mario, I love this game...and I frankly can't wait. I'm FAR more excited about this than I am about the prospect of BG3. :) It's like my favorite book, I can read it over and over again.

Last edited: