ATI HD 4870 1GB vs. NVIDIA GTX 260/216 896MB

U

Unregistered

Help

So i read the review and i was wondering if i can get some advice on which of the two graphics cards do i choose from? I am building a new pc and i really need help. Also can anyone suggest parts i should buy for my new pc, but not the core i7 cause it really too expensive considering the price of the processor, motherboard and triple dimm ddr3.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
So i read the review and i was wondering if i can get some advice on which of the two graphics cards do i choose from? I am building a new pc and i really need help. Also can anyone suggest parts i should buy for my new pc, but not the core i7 cause it really too expensive considering the price of the processor, motherboard and triple dimm ddr3.

As I mentioned in the article, either of these cards are good. If both cards cost the exact same, I'd personally choose NVIDIA. Their cards overclock better and run a little cooler, and if you happen to like PhysX, that ability is there as well.

U

Unregistered

Here's the problem...

The problem with your test is that you used games that nVidia THEMSELVES requested and then tried to pass it off as a fair test. You have GOT to be kidding me. As you said, the vast majority of the games you tested had nVidia's NAME on them. Come on now, that's very irresponsible of you at best. For instance, when the GTX 260 216 is compared to the HD 4870 1Gb in GRID Racing, the GTX 260 gets absolutely CREAMED by the 4870 512mb, never mind the 1Gb. Hell, even the 280 gets beat by the ATi offerings, performing similar to the 4850! I think you should smack yourself upside the head for having the gall to base a supposedly "fair and unbiased" GPU test using the games that a company that has been proven to be made up primarily of crooks (The GTS 250 really being a 9800 GTX+ scandal comes to mind) who lock out review sites that don't kiss their green and black asses! Never mind the fact that they were able to drop the price of their GTX cards by a whopping SIXTY-TWO PERCENT when the HD 4800 series was released by ATi which of course means that they were pumping the poopers of the nVidia fanboys who bought their GTX cars as soon as they came out! Sorry nVidia, even if your card is a bit superior, even if I have had all nVidia cards from the original VANTA TNT2, your business practices have made me decide that ATi is the way to go from now on. I used to use ATi cards, the EGA Wonder, VGA Wonder and Super VGA All-In-Wonder. It looks like I've come full circle and should never have left despite the problems with some of the Rage cards.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
most games out there have nVidia stickers on em and 'Play the way its meant to be Played' logo!!

sorry but it seems like ur taking out ur frustration of wot nVidia does on Rob here, which is totally unfair.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I looked through, and the results are quite similar to ours from months ago (between these two cards in particular). The games that ATI shows strength there, are the same ones that they showed strength with in our tests.

Note that I'm paying most attention to the main charts at the top of their pages, for 2560x1600.

ATI is better than NVIDIA for Crysis Warhead and Fallout 3.
NVIDIA is better than ATI at Call of Duty: World at War and Left 4 Dead.

Those are the exact same results as our article. The only discrepancy is that in their Far Cry 2 test, ATI proved better than NVIDIA (25.4 FPS vs. 24.6 FPS), where ours showed NVIDIA beating out ATI (33.269 FPS vs. 31.96 FPS). That could be attiributed to either driver improvements (our article is over three months old... both companies have made various improvements since), or the level chosen. The difference still isn't that great, however.

As for the other two games they test with, I can't comment since I've never used either for testing.

Oh, and in case you are looking at our older article, please note the URL I pasted in the post prior to yours. It was a result of ATI's releasing their 8.12 drivers that promised many improvements that warranted a follow-up.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You are referencing an article that's over a year old... there's going to be some variances. Each card has had refined drivers since then, and as a result, the landscape has changed a little bit. This particlar thread belongs to an outdated article... it was followed-up to a week later:

http://techgage.com/article/ati_hd_4870_1gb_vs_nvidia_gtx_260216_896mb_follow-up/

I'm not sure where things stand right now, but I'd still say they'd be about equal.