AsylumLAN 33

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ahh, nothing beats a good LAN party. Sitting back, chilling with friends, drinking a lot of Bawls and of course, getting hundreds of frags in... there's nothing quite like it. We made the trip to Evansville, Indiana recently to game it up at AsylumLAN's 33rd event. This is not the first AL we've attended, and we can honestly say... this one keeps getting better.

You can read Greg's full coverage of the recent LAN right here and discuss it here!

U

Unregistered

What about the video from the flying thing? =)

What about the video from the flying thing? :)

Are there any available yet, wouldnt mind to check that out :D

ikjadoon

Obliviot
Nice. Interesting as I'm about to have a LAN at my house tonight. I actually like the movie idea, but we might be gaming until we leave, lol.

One little thing: "or beer if your me". That needs to be: or beer if you're me. It's the contraction you need, not the possessive. A comma might be nice, too, but that is preference IMO.

Anyways, nice article. Ever since I've started gaming, I love hearing about how other people set up LANs, gives me some good ideas. Tournaments, that is definitely something we haven't done before. But a L4D tourney sounds a bit odd to set up. Did you guys do any of those? If all else fails, COD4 is there. :)

~Ibrahim~

P.S. Fricking legit idea on the Mountain Dew. I like.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Woops, another victim of my late-night editing. Thanks for pointing that one out.

How'd the LAN go for you? I love house LANs, but sadly, I don't get to enough.

ikjadoon

Obliviot
Hehe, no problem. :)

It went nicely. We didn't get into as much FPS as we would've liked, but we're reserving that for our next LAN. We ended up playing over 6 hours of Sins of a Solar Empire...We meant to only play one round (they're epic long to begin with), but ended up doing two, lol. Damn Novalith cannons..

We played some COD4, some BF2 (PR Mod), and then a bit of L4D, but the majority of the LAN went to Sins. Frankly, we are a bit L4D'd out. We got that 4-pack deal a few months ago and have literally logged days into that game, so it almost gets repetitive. Definitely psyched about the DLC coming out, though.

Issue is that our LAN community is a wee bit unorganized and getting games we all have is sometimes difficult. L4D is the stand-by, along with a few Source games. We're looking for a nice race LAN game and Flatout: Ultimate Carnage sounds like a fun spin.

Thanks! :)

~Ibrahim~

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I've never even heard of Sins of a Solar Empire, though I'm not an RTS gamer by any stretch. Glad to hear it's such a good one though. How long would you say a given match lasts?

As for Left 4 Dead, that's understandable. I have a weird relationship with that game. When I first played it, I loved it. In total, I played through two missions... that's it. Now, I can't stand the game, and I hate the fact that I even have to benchmark it. Sadly, I can't even explain why I dislike it so much, when I liked it quite a bit when it first came out! Maybe it's because it's a pain to benchmark, I don't know. Either way, I'm also interested in seeing what the DLC brings ot the table.

Flatout is a GREAT game. It's a little hard to control, but once you got that down-pat, you should be fine. I love the graphics and gameplay in that game though... just a ton of fun, especially with friends I'd imagine.

ikjadoon

Obliviot
It was made by Stardock, the guys with all the fancy little Windows visual stuff. Supposed to the new wave of games: DRM-free. You literally pop in the disc to install, no CD key, never need the CD again. Love it.

I'm not a big fan either, especially because they can take super-long to play and take a while to master. In Sins, there are actually saves for multiplayer games because they can literally last days (24 hour times x days). It depends on how many stars/planet systems you want, really, because it scales pretty nicely. However, it is one of the largest scale RTS games I've ever seen. It can get ridiculous at times.

Wow! I know exactly how you feel. Like, I loved it for the times that I played it, but now I can't even touch it. I'm not sure why, either. A friend of mine who has been keeping with it tells me that I just need to know more people to play with as L4D can turn into a crapfest with an AFK guy and useless teammates. Replay value is fun, but at the same time, it is literally the same map, same route nearly every time...

I'm feeling it, too. We went to one of those LAN cafes for an overnight and they had Flatout there so after many hours of fragging, we spent the last 2 hours playing Flatout and it was a blast. I mean, it is just fun to play. I was pleasantly surprised by the graphics, too. I think it is definitely next on our list.

~Ibrahim~

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ahh, right. I knew they were coming out with a game, but I didn't expect it so soon. To be honest, I didn't expect it to be that good either (given it's their first title), but it's good to hear that it's actually a winner. As for not needing a CD key to install, that's amazing... damn. They really have guts.

I'm not too sure I'm sold on a game with matches that can last days though. Seems like a major waste of time. It would suck to play a 30 hour match only to lose. I'm fine with 3 hours, but an entire day? Nuts.

What your friend told you about L4D is the same thing I've heard from others. I don't think that's why I dislike it though, because in the two missions I've played, it was with friends, so that really can't be it. Such a strange love/hate relationship though, it's weird. Never got like that with a game before.

After you mentioned Flatout, I downloaded it to my Steam account... I never played it multiplayer, but I had a ton of fun with the single-player (the game is hard though!). The graphics and gameplay still sell me though, it's a well-done production.

Morpse

Obliviot
Hey, I'm the guy from AL33 with the blimp. I've got some stills I pulled from it posted here:
http://morpsetek.com/asylumlan-33-blimp-pics/ and I'm working on cutting together some youtube clips from it, but my video editing kung-fu is lacking. When you see the quality of the pics you'll see why I told Greg I'm going to be re-working it.

ikjadoon

Obliviot
Ahh, right. I knew they were coming out with a game, but I didn't expect it so soon. To be honest, I didn't expect it to be that good either (given it's their first title), but it's good to hear that it's actually a winner. As for not needing a CD key to install, that's amazing... damn. They really have guts.

I'm not too sure I'm sold on a game with matches that can last days though. Seems like a major waste of time. It would suck to play a 30 hour match only to lose. I'm fine with 3 hours, but an entire day? Nuts.

What your friend told you about L4D is the same thing I've heard from others. I don't think that's why I dislike it though, because in the two missions I've played, it was with friends, so that really can't be it. Such a strange love/hate relationship though, it's weird. Never got like that with a game before.

After you mentioned Flatout, I downloaded it to my Steam account... I never played it multiplayer, but I had a ton of fun with the single-player (the game is hard though!). The graphics and gameplay still sell me though, it's a well-done production.

Yeah, I had heard the same. He is a big RTS guy and he's been wanting us to get for a while.

lol, that definitely would be disappointing. I haven't played it enough to lose, but it is supposed to be extremely balanced, from what my friend told me.

Maybe it has its moments. I'm sure in a few months I'll be back on like a frenzy.

haha, nice. You should play the demolition derby thing game type with the bus. Utter havoc. The semi is hard to maneuver, but the bus is just right for size and sheer bigness. It is addictingly fun, I'll tell you that. :)

Nice pictures with the blimp! That is a wicked idea; did this come in some sort of kit? I mean, that thing sounds ridiculously fun just to play with. The things I would do....lol.

~Ibrahim~

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Morpse: Thanks for the post and the images! Those images leave a bit to be desired, but they still have a certain cool-factor to them. I mean, you were flying around a room snapping photos with a webcam! Was it mentioned what kind of webcam it was? I know Logitech has some more expensive models (still sub-$100) that are supposed to perform a lot better in low-light. That might prove to be a waste of cash though, I don't know. Haven't ever tried to fly a webcam around a room before ;-)

ikjadoon: You mean Flatout as a demolition derby mode? I haven't noticed it before. To be honest, I prefer the straight-out racing. Sounds boring, but crazy stuff is bound to happen. I suck at controlling the car, so me flying out of it once per lap is pretty inevitable.

ikjadoon

Obliviot
Morpse: Thanks for the post and the images! Those images leave a bit to be desired, but they still have a certain cool-factor to them. I mean, you were flying around a room snapping photos with a webcam! Was it mentioned what kind of webcam it was? I know Logitech has some more expensive models (still sub-$100) that are supposed to perform a lot better in low-light. That might prove to be a waste of cash though, I don't know. Haven't ever tried to fly a webcam around a room before ;-)

ikjadoon: You mean Flatout as a demolition derby mode? I haven't noticed it before. To be honest, I prefer the straight-out racing. Sounds boring, but crazy stuff is bound to happen. I suck at controlling the car, so me flying out of it once per lap is pretty inevitable.

Really? I'm sure it is in there, but maybe only in the multiplayer section, as that's where I played it.

Hehe, yeah, definitely, I can see that happening. The car dynamics are a bit weird, but, like you said, when you get used to it, it is definite blast. :)

The pictures were still pretty cool, though. A bit off in quality, but it was live streaming to a computer, so I'll take it. :) I'm sure it looked cooler in person.

~Ibrahim~

Last edited:

Morpse

Obliviot
The camera is a generic wireless security cam, from hong kong. I'm probably going to look into a cheaper wireless webcam and add night vision to it, unless I can get this thing to take better pics.

The blimp was kinda a kit. It's a toy blimp from rc-toys.com, with 2 high-altitude balloons and way too much free time :) The video looks better, but there's a lot of interference in it too (that many computers in one room and all), when I get some clips made it'll look a bit better.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ahh right... "wireless", I guess that is kind of important. So it's not a webcam per se then... but a security cam.