ASUS Xonar now has EAX 5.0 support

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
ASUS just released a BETA driver with EAX 5.0 support! To make a long story short, I am building a new system for myself tonight and will be installing and testing this driver. All I can say is that I am so happy I bought this card.

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
I received an email from ASUS recently about this development. Even though the driver itself is still in 'beta', anyone who's been bemoaning the lack of EAX 3.0 and higher support on the Xonar cards would do well to check this driver out. As a side note, it's likely that EAX 3.0-and-up processing is done in software instead of in hardware, as is most of the DSP for the CMI8788 chipset, so expect this to put slightly more load on your CPU than an X-Fi card, which handles this processing in hardware with its onboard DSP logic.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I should have been more specific with my post, thanks for pointing that out. I figured it would be on a driver level. Thanks for the uupdate!

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Small update. Just finished playing DiRT which uses EAX. I notice a big difference in sound. I'll report back with any other findings.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Good catch on the DSP Rory and even better to know there is such a difference with the game Bill.

I can attest to the Xonar, it's a damn sweet card, even under Linux. I don't get the special effects like EAX and the like as you would in Windows, but even with out it all, music sounds incredible.

NicePants42

Partition Master
*clears throat*

"I know, hon, but the HTPC really needed to have an X-fi, and I just couldn't justify spending the money for a new one. Getting the Xonar for the gaming rig was the responsible thing to do."

Sound good?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am sure Rory will ping in here, but as far as I know, it's higher-quality all around, but I could be wrong.

That might just be the Xonar-fanboi in me speaking, I don't know.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Creative has nothing to compare to this card. This card is far superior in every way. It has superior drivers, superior parts and best of all it is not made by Creative!