ASUS WL-700gE Wireless Router

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
There have been many feature-packed routers to come out of the ASUS shops in the past year, but the WL-700gE takes the cake thanks to its pre-installed 160GB hard drive. Is this NAS/Router hybrid worth your $200?

You can read the full review here and discuss it here.

E

EZero

1 thing I'd like to know is does the router spin down the drive when not in use? Over time this could make quite a difference in the life of the harddrive.

Thanks in advance.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Thats a very good question and one I was about to ask.

To add to that, whats the upgradability of the hard drive? Would it be to difficult to change out the provided 160 or 250 gb drive and throw in, say, a 500 gb? Could this be as simple as simply ghosting the old drive onto the new one?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From what I can tell, the drive does spin down, but it doesn't turn off if it's not in use, similar to when in use on a PC. As for upgradability, it's something I wanted to touch on, but I didn't have a spare hard drive to test it out. It would depend primarily on three things.

1) The firmware would have to support over 250GB... if it does it shouldn't be much of a problem.
2) The drive has to be formatted in RAW (From what I can tell, not even sure how to accomplish this)
3) It might need various system related files.

Once I get a spare HDD I will test it out.

vinnie97

Obliviot
Congrats on posting this. The only thing this device is missing is Draft N, right? :) That's a big bummer for me, since Asus is guaranteeing upgradability on the AL-500W.

NicePants42

Partition Master
I haven't kept up with the latest draft N hardware, but the last roundup I read indicated that not only did draft N not offer any significant speed improvement, but it also had a tendency to interfere with non-N networks.

I'm sticking with my linksys until N is no longer a draft.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Congrats on posting this. The only thing this device is missing is Draft N, right? :) That's a big bummer for me, since Asus is guaranteeing upgradability on the AL-500W.

I wonder if it's possible that the 700gE could go through the same upgrade? I'd find it weird that a firmware update could take care of that, thought. Chances are they will release a Draft N version of the router if it sells well enough.

moon111

Coastermaker
That's one sweet looking device. Would be cool to be able to download content then have any one be able to turn on a computer or HTPC and watch a movie. I hate making DVDs. The ability to upgrade the harddrive is an interesting question. How about remotely accessing a webcam?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I couldn't get that feature to work, but I'm not sure if it's because I am using a crappy webcam. I had problems with it before (Notebooks Pro), so I wouldn't blame the router before the webcam. I can't really comment though.

vinnie97

Obliviot
I haven't kept up with the latest draft N hardware, but the last roundup I read indicated that not only did draft N not offer any significant speed improvement, but it also had a tendency to interfere with non-N networks.

I'm sticking with my linksys until N is no longer a draft.
I can get up to 60Mbps throughput with the Asus AL500W from a floor below the router using both Linksys and Asus hardware clients. I'm happy with the results.

Rob, you're probably right, though Apple pulled a similar move when they offered an 802.11n upgrade to their Airport routers.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
What kind of connection are you keeping on the floor below? I am having a bizarre problem with my moms PC still. Though I am using WPA-PSK, sometimes her PC will just randomly change it to WPA2-PSK, so I have to come out and change it back. Very annoying... I wish I knew why it was happening.

BTW, tell me what WoW to pick up, and I'll order it... you Tiesto h8r.

vinnie97

Obliviot
LOL, the connection down below is pretty solid. I fudged the results a bit above...the highest I actually remember seeing with Qcheck is 54 Mbps. :eek: Sometimes Windows reports an "excellent" signal yet is only connected at "162 Mbps." I'm not sure why that is but this is with utilizing WPA2-PSA utilizing AES encryption.

And there are 2 other WOW albums besides the last...one's the debut (self-titled) and the other is Intensify. I'd recommend both. ;)

W

wekoweko@gmail.com

help

hey there, just bought the asus wl 700ge and internet won't work, am on dsl, prolink h9200 modem with pppoa settings, anybody have any advice, have tried dhcp, pppoe, ppptp and static ip just wont work, anyone have any advice?

S

sixfoot10

platform compatibility

Hi,

I am very new to networking/routers and was wondering if there would be an issue here for an Imac, PC and laptop (Both on XP) to all run off this router?

I love the features of the extra storage and the continued downloads.

Can anyone tell me if there would be an issue across platforms?