ASUS WL-500W SuperSpeed N Router

U

Unregistered

answers

Hi, not registered yet... (having some problems with 500w)

- Printers all in one, do not work with 500w (as mention on asus website)
- in order to do the firmware update, you must be connected to the router with a cable. not wireless.

can't see my 1Tb external HD connected with my 500w router on network with windows vista.
no problems to access via FTP.

can't make it work my laserjet 1018 also.

2 solutions and 2 problems xD

greetings!
and good review
(should i go back to xp?)

dal

Obliviot
I picked one of these up about a week ago now. Wireless N speeds have really disappointed me (speed reported by the rt2870 linux application fluctuates between 54, 81, 162 and 216 Mbps, but real world testing gives me a maximum of less than 1MB (8Mb)/s so...yeah) but in all fairness to the device I have it at the other end of the apartment with several walls in between it and my desktop.

Having seen the bad rap the download master software got didn't really give me much pause as the next thing I noticed while googling the device was this site: wl500g.info - the replacement firmware on the site adds some new functionality (a samba server for actual SMB (or what microsoft like to call windows file sharing, even though they were only one of the companies working on the protocol - kinda like "Microsoft" tcp/ip in your network device properties etc)). I can understand being a little wary of grabbing random firmware put together by some guy on the net but after flashing my device the only discernable difference was the new options on the admin webpage (and the lack of download master options). Stuff added includes igmp, better printing support, and a feature any tech-head would love - telnet and ssh access to the linux OS running on the box itself.

From here you can run a script to install a program called ipkg which reminds me a lot of apt-get for debian-based linuxes. For anyone who isn't familiar with it, basically what it does is gives you access to x thousand (where x is not a small number) programs written for linux, and handles installing, upgrading and removing them. Ipkg does basically the same thing, albeit with a much smaller package base - but even so, there is generally a few different options for any given task. This turned out to be quite a good thing when I couldn't get transmission (the most popular bittorrent client by the looks of things on the wl500g.info forum) to mesh with the web interface properly. I ended up using a program called rtorrent running on the wl-500w and a java frontend for it called ntorrent running on my kubuntu desktop. Performance seems pretty comparable to ktorrent running on my desktop machine, although running them both at the same time seemed like a recipe for maxing out my adsl modem's connection pool.

Ipkg also lets you install samba for windows-like filesharing. It can do things like restricting share access to set IP addresses and a bunch of other stuff I've never had any reason to use.

Being as it is a mini version of linux running on the router you can do a whole bunch of other stuff with it too - there are reports of people hooking up usb soundcards to it and using it to play back audio from shoutcast streams. I'm currently eyeing my leadtek winfast dtv gold usb dongle (which I know works under linux, I'm using it on my desktop atm) and planning to try to get it and the router working as a PVR in conjunction with the 750gb hdd I already have hooked up to it. Not sure how the cpu in the router will handle the load, but with a bit of luck it will be beefy enough to handle a straight dump to the hdd with no processing on the stream without say freezing up anything else the router should be doing.

Hmm...this was going to be a one paragraph reply to let you know that you shouldn't necessarily write the wl-500w off for torrents just cause download master sucks for bittorrenting. Damn Coffee.

N

Non Techi-Guy

Is this a technical review!!!??

I am just wondering is this really a technical review about this product or just some one talking about something he just saw and found it interesting!!??

I read the original post and I was shocked to see that the author does not know why it has three antenna and adding insult to injury he said it might be ASUS who's creating this technology!!!! come on, you wrote this on 2007 while we have wireless router with MIMO and three antenna back in 2006 and even 2005.

My advise to you is to do more google search before you claim something...

-The non-techi-guy

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am just wondering is this really a technical review about this product or just some one talking about something he just saw and found it interesting!!??

I read the original post and I was shocked to see that the author does not know why it has three antenna and adding insult to injury he said it might be ASUS who's creating this technology!!!! come on, you wrote this on 2007 while we have wireless router with MIMO and three antenna back in 2006 and even 2005.

My advise to you is to do more google search before you claim something...

-The non-techi-guy

This article is over two-years-old, and at that time, having a router with three antennaes was not popular. I did do research, and when I asked ASUS about it, I was told that it was to improve stability. I didn't realize at the time that it was a Draft N feature. All of that aside though, I'm not a networking guy, and after doing a few of these articles, I gave up on them. Since then we've had Greg doing the networking-related content, and it's far superior to any networking content I've ever written.

Thanks for the comments.