ASUS WL-500W SuperSpeed N Router

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
We took a look at the ASUS' WL-500g router a few months ago and were quite impressed with its performance. The router we are evaluating today is similar, but can also handle new draft N wireless devices.

You can read the review right here and then discuss in it this thread when finished!

V

vince

Issue with a Con

Hi, thanks for the review. I've got this device. I quote from you review:

# Wireless proved difficult without using Windows installer
I connected to the router using WPA2 security via Windows XP's Wireless Zero Config client, without the need of any Asus software. I can't speak for any of your Linux problems (a whole different animal and I have no such machines set up nor have I tested any with this router) but can you clarify that you could connect wirelessly with the WZC client at least?

V

vince

Followup, finally got a decent USB HD to connect to this device. Bitorrent is indeed crippled. It is flat out incompatibile with some trackers/websites (hence the errors). However, I was able to get a 700MB file in about 3 days, lol. Completely unacceptable...hopefully Asus updates this firmware/software combination to improve torrent capability.

B

BA

Review is great! However, I don't get one thing... What about the N-speed!?! I don't get it...

Reading the following page of ASUS it seemed to me that the N-standard only works after a firmware upgrade: <a href>http://event.asus.com/2006/wireless/pren/</a>

This was also in conjunction with what my Linksys WPC300-N adapter (also N-compatibale) says, since its monitor recognizes my network a wireless-G speed.

But now i read on this review the N-speed works!? Is this because of the adpater I have? Not being the same brand?

I've got the latest firmware on the router, so there's no issue there.

Thanks in advance,
BA

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hi, thanks for the review. I've got this device. I quote from you review: I connected to the router using WPA2 security via Windows XP's Wireless Zero Config client, without the need of any Asus software. I can't speak for any of your Linux problems (a whole different animal and I have no such machines set up nor have I tested any with this router) but can you clarify that you could connect wirelessly with the WZC client at least?

Sorry, for some reason I completely missed this post. Yes, I -could- connect view WZC, but only on the laptop for some reason, using the actual draft N card. I didn't test that thoroughly on my desktop, but can.

Followup, finally got a decent USB HD to connect to this device. Bitorrent is indeed crippled. It is flat out incompatibile with some trackers/websites (hence the errors). However, I was able to get a 700MB file in about 3 days, lol. Completely unacceptable...hopefully Asus updates this firmware/software combination to improve torrent capability.

The BitTorrent is real sketchy, I agree. I am hoping they will fix things up as well, especially now that they have a router with an included 160GB now. My past experience was that the BitTorrents sucked, but the actual HTTP/FTP downloads worked fine.

Review is great! However, I don't get one thing... What about the N-speed!?! I don't get it...

Reading the following page of ASUS it seemed to me that the N-standard only works after a firmware upgrade: http://event.asus.com/2006/wireless/pren/

This was also in conjunction with what my Linksys WPC300-N adapter (also N-compatibale) says, since its monitor recognizes my network a wireless-G speed.

But now i read on this review the N-speed works!? Is this because of the adpater I have? Not being the same brand?

I've got the latest firmware on the router, so there's no issue there.

Thanks in advance,
BA

Interesting. I didn't do a Firmware update, but as seen in the screenshots I had a connection better than 100MBps, so I assume it worked out of the box?

V

vince

Sorry, for some reason I completely missed this post. Yes, I -could- connect view WZC, but only on the laptop for some reason, using the actual draft N card. I didn't test that thoroughly on my desktop, but can.

The BitTorrent is real sketchy, I agree. I am hoping they will fix things up as well, especially now that they have a router with an included 160GB now. My past experience was that the BitTorrents sucked, but the actual HTTP/FTP downloads worked fine.

Interesting. I didn't do a Firmware update, but as seen in the screenshots I had a connection better than 100MBps, so I assume it worked out of the box?
Please do...the Belkin Pre-N PCI/PCMIA adapter works well with this router on both my laptop and desktop.

Re: HTTP/FTP, yes, these worked as expected, even though the download master didn't show their status and that "Folder" view just gives me a "Page Cannot Be Displayed" error...I have to access the network shares directly.

BA, there are multiple implementations of N across even the same manufacturer since the spec has not been finalized. That page you linked guarantees firmware (or hardware) upgradability to the standard when it becomes ratified. The standards commission recently released draft 2 while router presently supports draft 1 (firmware from December 2006). Draft 2 was just passed this month.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I will give this a test later today. I don't have a wireless nic installed in that PC right now.

B

BA

Vince,

thanks for your reply. So this means my N-adapter from Linksys does not match with the N-router from ASUS, being the reason that i am not getting more than 54 mbps, being a G-network?

SO when the final version of the N-technology has been finalized, they should be able to communicate on N-speed?
BA

V

vince

Aye, I would say they should, but only if the Linksys can be firmware-upgraded to the standard when it's ratified.

Rob, please keep us posted. No problems with my setup...get the latest firmware upgrade, et al. :)

B

BA

Alright... another sleepless night may have led to some results.

After changing many parameters without any effect, I changed the encryption method from WEP 128-bit into PSK... Out of nowhere the speed went up to 130-270 mbps!

At that point I kept it and didn't do anything. Tonight I will login again and check if the situation will be the same.

I'll keep you updated....
BA

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Sorry Vince, I will get on that testing today. I've been using that PC for a bunch of other stuff lately and ended up forgetting. I will hook up another PC today and get er done.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I tried connecting with my Windows PC finally, with no luck. I have a feeling it has to do with the crappy D-Link card though... I've had stupid issues with ALL routers I've come across. Until I get a better card I can't really conclude on anything.

Like I mentioned in the review, I used the ASUS N PCMCIA card in my laptop and it connected no problem without the ASUS software, so that leads me to believe I just have shitty desktop NICs.

V

vinnie97

Thanks for trying all the same and providing more information about your setup.

It is likely to be the D-Stink. Unfortunately, in this world of gadgetry, one can't help but acquire a lemon now and then. ;)

V

Vince

Ouch, Rob! What bum luck. :O

I just wanted to mention I got 3 PCMCIA wireless cards for dirt cheap from a closing CompUSA (Linksys WPC300N, D-Link DWA-642 and Belkin N1 aka FD58011). All 3 are draft N adapters utilizing the Atheros Xspan chipset (said to be compatible with Broadcom's implementation according to http://www.broadcom.com/docs/WLAN/InteroperabilityTestDocumentation.pdf ). After some initial absent-minded errors, I got all 3 up and running at a reported 300 Mbps (obviously much lower than that but the point is that interoperability is finally becoming a reality with 802.11n). Just thought some would like to know who might be holding out for interoperability reasons.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ahh thanks for the information, good to know. 300 Mbps... that must've been nice to see, even if it's a little over the top ;-)

V

vince

haha, indeed! I have been finding that I've had to occasionally reboot and/or hard reset this router after failed setting changes (when turning off encryption for testing purposes, for instance...maybe that's an embedded Asus security to keep ignorant/unsuspecting people from opening their networks to the public :p). My DSL went out last night for several hours. I went to sleep and woke up later to find the router still not connected (even though the modem confirmed a DSL signal). A hard reset made was what it took for the router to negotiate a PPPoE connection again.

BTW, Rob, your "Presence" avatar is scaring the shiz outta' me! The whole NIN marketing effort is pushing me to the edge of anxious paranoia, lol.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hmm, I had that problem before as well regarding resetting the router in order to have it pick up a signal again. I'm unsure if it was the WL-500W, but I know it was one of the ASUS routers I've used.

I also got in the mood to change the encryption on this thing the other day, and after about an hour I got a -good- connection on all the PCs. My moms PC in another room is still not 100%, but it keeps a solid connection.

I think I was using WPA/WPA2 originally, but I shifted it to Open System or Shared Key. It's not as secure, but as least it's functional now. I am still not sure whether it's the router to blame, or the fact I need to work around all the static energy in this room, haha.

And yeah, leave it to NIN to try to scare people out of their wits. Can't wait for the new album though... only a few more weeks... Once it comes out I'll change it to another album cover ;-)

V

Vince

So I gather you've taken that D-Stink adapter out of the equation with regards to your latest findings? You might have some cordless phone or neighborhood wifi interference mucking things up (I'll assume you've checked for these sources of interference, however) I've migrated my wireless machines to draft N now...but even with G I was getting solid connectivity. Out of the 3 new cards I got, the Linksys wins hands down in througput tests. I achieved TCP throughput of up to 60+ Mbps utilizing Ixia's Qcheck! This test was conducted on a machine on a floor below the router. The Helkin/D-Stink didn't fare quite as well (topped out in the 30s, maybe a 40), so they're getting Ebayed. ;)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Nope, still using the same D-Link network card. I am not sure how a lower security would "fix" things, but it's working a lot better than it ever has. I still believe some interference is playing a role, which is why I can't use a higher security, but who knows... it's a confusing situation.

It could be neighborhood Wifi though... if something like that could screw it up. I believe there are about 7 other wireless networks in my radius.

Good to hear about the Linksys card. I wonder how Orinoco cards are performing nowadays. They used to be one of the best brands you could buy.