ASUS WL-500gU Wireless Router

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Need a new router but not ready to take the 802.11n plunge? We're taking a look at a brand-new ASUS model that boasts tried and true 802.11g and offers it at a great price. It lacks in certain ways, but makes up for it in others, such as with the inclusion of a real print server.

You can read Greg's full look at the new router here and then discuss it here once finished reading!

U

Unregistered

Can it be used as a repeater?

From what I can gather, the WDS feature of routers allow them to be used as repeaters and thereby expand your wireless coverage.

I would like to use this router to expand the coverage of a d-link wbr-1310 to be able to reach a pc in a separate building. I know the distance isn't a problem, what I'm worried about is if the WDS feature works with a d-link router. Would you know? Did you guys test the WDS feature?

Thanks!
Jamin

B

blakedad

Did you test the print server.

I read your review as I am intrigued by the unit but suspucious of the low price. Did your tests include the print server? If so what were the results? If not, could you test and respond?

U

Unregistered

Print Server - Forgot About the One Outstanding Feature

You forgot about the one outstanding feature that separates this router from all the routers one finds at the majority of the brick and mortar place - the built in print server. You can't find a wireless router with a print server at most B&M places.

Most home networks use only a wireless router and have to make due with printing via the one computer that is tethered to the one home printer. If that computer is logged on, you have to call junior to go downstairs to boot the PC and wait. And if you have Vista and Windows - that's more headaches making them play nice.

Anyone who has searched for a wireless router with a print server usually had no choice but to pay a huge premium for such a device - like the great Netgear FWG 114P - which costs over $100. So this Asus WL-502GU at $44 is a steal.

Mr. Critic - you fell asleep at the router.

U

Unregistered

Would also have loved to see more about the print server functions and/or testing, as this feature is difficult to find for on such a low price tag.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Thanks for the input guys. We'll keep this in mind for our future networking articles. We definitely shouldn't have overlooked such an important feature.