ASUS to Re-Release Windows XP Eee PC in June with Intel Atom Processor

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
With ASUS' brand-new Eee PC 4G now hitting e-tailers and retailers with Windows XP pre-installed, it's almost hard to resist, right? Well, that might depend on how much you want to give Intel's latest Atom architecture a go, because if rumors prove true, the same Eee PC that was just released, will be re-released in June using the brand new processor.

With that in consideration, the decision to purchase now is made difficult. Once Atom is inside the Eee PC, pricing shouldn't change even in the slightest. Compared to the current Eee PC Celeron processor, the Atom CPU will be more efficient overall, resulting in lower power draw and higher frequencies.

If you need an Eee PC now, I don't think this news should stop you, since it is a month and a half away. But those who can wait, might not regret it. Intel boasts the fact that over 25 low-cost notebooks are soon to be equipped with Atom, so it shouldn't be too much longer before we see performance benchmarks and can understand just how much better it will be.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
asus_eee_pc_windows_xp_042208.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
Atom is the name of the processor formerly called Diamondville. It was designed for low-cost laptop PCs, ultramobile PCs, Mobile Internet Devices (MIDs) and other small devices aimed at connecting to the Internet. The processor is tiny, less than 25 square millimeters, will be priced low, and run at a battery-efficient 0.6 watts to 2.5 watts thermal design power, according to Intel.

Source: PC World

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I can't wait to see Atom in some laptops that actually have full size keyboards. Which means they can fit a 6 or 9 cell battery... battery life should really really be up there. :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I can't wait to see Atom in some laptops that actually have full size keyboards. Which means they can fit a 6 or 9 cell battery... battery life should really really be up there. :)

I couldn't agree more, haha. Sounds like dream come true for a lot of people. Be nice for a long plane ride where a power socket isn't available, that's for sure.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Hm, or even Via's Isaiah, assuming all that Atom-beating performance doesn't include a higher power consumption as well. Already surprising as heck it offers better clock-for-clock performance.