Asus Ramoage II Extreme vs Asus P6T Deluxe v2

PlanetMaster

Obliviot
Asus Rampage II Extreme vs Asus P6T Deluxe v2

I'm currently tired of my Intel DX58SO which is no doubt a great LGA1366 board but its not willing to OC anymore! :(
I had it OC'd 24/7 @4200Mhz @1.375v on air (CM V8 Customized).
Now the board it acting weird. As soon as i increase BLCK above 164, systems restarts, starts for 2 secs, restarts, starts again for 2 sec, restarts and it'll plan to move like this until our sun goes supernova!

So instead of claiming it under warranty, I'm planning on replacing it with Asus. :cool:

First I'll starts with the prices:
> Asus P6T Deluxe v2: Rs25500 (~$300)
> Asus Rampage II Extreme: Rs35000 (~$412) :eek:

Next i only have one XFX GTS 250 (Overclocked) and I've got no plans for SLI (even 2 way) since my system is mainly used for video encoding (I know CUDA but still!).
However i do play games with insane graphics requirements such as Crysis, Dirt 2, Left 4 dead 2, GTA IV etc but hardly once or twice a week.
So I'll be aiming for at least 4Ghz and i might buy water-cooling next month as well.

So how do these boards stack up with my requirements?
> Is the beauty contest winner Asus Rampage II Extreme worth the extra Rs9500 (~$112)?
> Is yes WHY??
> Or should i go with the Asus P6T v2 Deluxe which seems to do my job?
> Or just the P6T would do my job given that it costs only Rs20300 (~$239)?

If required i have 2GBx3 XMS3 @1600Mhz and a HAF 932 with all optional fans installed. :cool:

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I would go with the P6T Deluxe, because it's still a kick-ass board. The RIIE is also nice, but it's catered more towards hardcore overclockers and might be a bit overkill. Great board, but the price premium is a bit too high.

I'd give a more robust response but am still in Taiwan and swamped with work and other things to do. But you can't go wrong with the P6T, and really, you might want to even see about going for a board that's well under $300. Many of them can handle 4GHz+ overclocks with ease.

PlanetMaster

Obliviot
Most boards like gigabyte and EVGA aren't yet available in my country.
I can only choose from RIIE, P6T and P6T Deluxe v2.
You've helped me eliminate RIIE (Although i love the accessories like LCD screen and red back-lit connectors) so what would you actually recommend from the other 2.
What is the real difference between P6T and P6T Deluxe v2?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
There's no real important difference between the P6T non-Deluxe and Deluxe editions. The Deluxe is a bit more refined aesthetically and has a slightly better heatsink. Its BIOS might also be better-tuned for hardcore overclocks, but unless you are planning to REALLY go hardcore with overclocking, you probably won't notice the difference. The Deluxe has twice the number of power phases, but I don't think 8 will exactly be limiting.

If the price difference is minimal, I'd go with the Deluxe, but if it's like $50+, I'd go with the non-Deluxe.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Typically, as a rule, never buy Used or Refurbished hardware.... you don't know whats wrong (or was wrong) with it and you no longer have a full warranty in case something does go wrong. I've been burnt by that before. Unless you can buy 2 or 3 for the same price as a new one, it's not worth the risk, especially since you intend to overclock.

Intel Boards have never been very good for overclock's, which is highly amusing considering they make the chips in the first place, you can always buy a cheaper and better alternative for overclocking. If you intend to stay stock, then Intel boards are rock solid... third-party boards tend to have 'quirk's' in one for or another, be it through some odd bios behavior, a USB or PCI-E port being funny, a dodgy NIC, etc.

As for the choice's above with the ASUS boards, go with the standard P6T. Only go with the Deluxe if you actually intend to use the additional features, yes, you may have that nag of going for more, and you could upgrade, etc etc, but what usually happens is that an 'upgrade' turns into a new system, lol. Also, if they don't have the standard model and you go deluxe, be careful since there's a Deluxe V1 and a V2.... the V2 is actually a downgrade in that they removed the SAS controller, apart from that, they're near identical. Not saying the V2 is worse, for most, it's the better option, hardly anyone has a SAS drive in the consumer market.

PlanetMaster

Obliviot
Re: Asus Rampage II Extreme vs Asus P6T Deluxe v2

I have no intention of buying the used one! :)
I wont be using 15000RPM SAS drives. Who wants to?
The deluxe (Not available here) and the deluxe v2 has 16 phase power for CPU and an additional 2 phase power for QPI and memory just like the Rampage II Extreme. More VRM's result in stable power and to some extent cooler temps as well and thereby higher or atleast more stable overclocks.

So i'm most probably getting a P6T Deluxe v2 but i'm confused where to buy?
One vendor (cZone) is giving it for Rs25500 (~300) but another vendor (Galaxy - biggest and most reliable vendor) is giving it for Rs28000 (~330).
Now thats confusing me cause Galaxy is accepting my old DX58SO as well no matter i buy a new one or not!

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Once you go above eight phases the benefits to power delivery are rather small, it is questionable how much it helps unless you are into extreme overclocking. For normal air-cooled overclocking, it won't make a difference if the board has 12 or 24 phases at all. :)

The vendors sell the same product, so as long as you are sure they will ship the item safely and won't sell you an opened item, then it really doesn't matter. Long term warranty and support should come from ASUS and not the retailer. If you are concerned about it you might check if they have different terms on returns or item exchanges, as some store differ.

PlanetMaster

Obliviot
I tried P6T Deluxe v2 on 4 main dealers but none of them had it.
So i purchased Rampage II Extreme. Its a hell of a board but has one big issue! :(
After unboxing it, you'll never want to fit it in your case! :p
I'm seriously happy with this fantastic piece of engineering.
Thanks everyone for your time. :techgage:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
The Rampage II Extreme was one very fun board to use. It didn't sell me on ASUS, but it had features I do miss on my Gigabyte boards... hope you enjoy it! :)

looisboo

Obliviot
Asus P6T Deluxe v2!
Galaxy is giving new for Rs28000/- and a 2 days used one for Rs26000/- while cZone is giving the new one for only Rs25500/-.
Now I'm more confused!!!:confused::confused::confused:

You must be rich ehh? What is your job? As far as i know few ppl in pakistan earn about 40k per month