ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Includes Linux

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
ASUS has a track record of releasing great products with well-thought-out features, but here's a completely new one. As Phoronix has found out first-hand, the new ASUS P5E3 Deluxe WiFi-AP motherboard offers a pre-loaded version of Linux, which I assume would run off a separate flash chip somewhere on the board.

Because this is all on-board, it boots in mere seconds. Once in, you can browse the web via WiFi or wired connection, or even talk on Skype. As Michael found out, there are a few ways that it could be improved even further, such as by allowing the mounting of external storage. Even without that, this is one cool feature.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
asus_p5e3_phoronix_100707.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>
At first when hearing about this Express Gate feature, we figured it was just some small feature being worked on by a couple ASUS engineers. When powering up the motherboard, we assumed you would just hit a key sequence and enter a quickly thrown together Linux environment that featured a basic web browser. Well, much to our surprise this was actually a finely crafted Linux desktop environment.

Source: Phoronix

NicePants42

Partition Master
I'm pretty impressed with how nice that on-board browser is looking, however I don't think that an enthusiast board is the best place for it - the only time I could imagine using that browser is if the rig went down and I had to order something on-line.

I would think that a feature like this could kick truckloads of ass on a SFF board with integrated video - ever wanted to make a teeny-tiny low power web browsing box? Wouldn't it be nice not to need a HDD or an OS? I think that's where this feature is headed.