Asus Maximus Formula and Tuniq Tower 120 Cooler

BoySCouT

E.M.I.
Just wondering if anyone is currently using the Tuniq Tower 120 on the Maximus Formula? I am curious about how well it fits on the motherboard, and if it fits tight! With something that big, it is OK to set your case upright or should it be put on it's side?

I read where the Thermalright Ultra-120 is a little loose and can be twisted. I will need to double check my tower to make sure I have enough height clearance. The Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme at 160mm may be to tall.

I have a Thermaltake Tsunami Aluminum Case (VA3000). Thanks.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I wish I had some good advice for you... I haven't tried out that combo. I doubt the Tuniq would be a problem. They build these boards with overclocking in mind, so they should have left sufficient room.

I am building a new PC as well and decided on a Thermalright 120 eXtreme. It came highly recommended, so I am looking forward to chucking it in the machine once the rest of the parts arrive. That aside, it doesn't matter if the cooler shifts around a little once installed. If it was ultra-tight, that would be a problem, I'm sure. As long as the base of the cooler completely covers the CPU IHS, you are fine. Normally CPU cooler bases are larger to compensate for a minor mis-alignment.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Perhaps I would be better off with a Zalman CNPS 9700 LED? Any thoughts?

I think you would be happy with that one
I have a coolit Freezone and the Zalman was really close to the temps, only about 10C difference

Merlin the Coastermaker

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am just building a simple machine... just one I use for work. I have a spare P5K lying around, so I am just going to use that one, with 4GB of RAM, X3210 2.13GHz Quad-Core and a 64-Bit Linux OS. It will still be a huge jump from the Athlon 3200+ I am using now.

[Edit: Hah, I didn't know you just posed that question]