ASUS G51Vx 15" Gaming Notebook

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
To purchase a quality gaming notebook just a few years ago would have set you back at least $2,000. But the situation is far better today, and it's proven with the help of ASUS' G51Vx, coming in at $999. It comes complete with NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 260M graphics card, a great feature-set and plays most of today's games at their max detail settings with ease.

You can read our full review here and discuss it here!

gibbersome

Coastermaker
That's an absolute incredible deal at $999! The processor, as you've mentioned, is underpowered but the overall deal is great, especially considering the GPU.

What did you think of the build quality?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
What did you think of the build quality?

"The G51Vx might be what some would consider to be a "value" gamer's notebook, but ASUS spared nothing with the build quality. As a whole, I found the notebook to be very well-built, and not at all flimsy or cheap."

:)

gibbersome

Coastermaker
"The G51Vx might be what some would consider to be a "value" gamer's notebook, but ASUS spared nothing with the build quality. As a whole, I found the notebook to be very well-built, and not at all flimsy or cheap."
:)

Thanks, somehow missed that.

I've purchased a much more expensive Toshiba X205 notebook and I found its build quality to be lacking. Even the newer Qosmios are very flimsy esp on the back of the screen so I'm glad Asus hasn't done the same.

K

Knirb

GPU temps

How do you find the internal heat of the GPU? I own a G51vx-rx05 and my GPU gets up to 100-104c under-load (HW monitor).

Thanks

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
100C+ seems a little excessive. I could believe it happening, given it's a mobile PC, but even then, that's the same reason it scares me. You could give GPU-Z a go, and see if it detects the temperatures:

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

You might want to reboot before running it though, to make sure it's not going to grab the same temperature due to HW Monitor getting in the way.

K

Knirb

100C+ seems a little excessive. I could believe it happening, given it's a mobile PC, but even then, that's the same reason it scares me. You could give GPU-Z a go, and see if it detects the temperatures:

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

You might want to reboot before running it though, to make sure it's not going to grab the same temperature due to HW Monitor getting in the way.

Looks a little better now, highest I"m seeing is 96/97C.
Maybe I should get all the thermal paste redone just to be safe.

Thanks for the tip.