ASUS EAH3870 X2 1GB

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Does a multi-GPU setup with one card interest you? You may want to take a look at AMD's latest high-end offering, the HD 3870 X2. We are taking a look at ASUS' version of the card which features a fantastic bundle, including an HDMI adapter and Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts.

You can read the full review here and discuss it here.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
CoJ is good, but hard as hell. I didn't get too far in to it due to it becoming too tedious. As for that new ASUS version, I wouldn't bother unless you realize it will cost a lot more than a regular 3870 X2 (probably). There's no need for it unless you actually have four monitors... because that's one ugly cooler.

And no I didn't use the demo for testing. If I ever use a demo for anything, it's because the game is only available as a demo. We purchase every single game used for our testing like anyone else.

THUMPer

Coastermaker
oh ok. cuz the demo and the first level are like the same. In the game though you get a freakin horse. Thats bad ass.

Well from what I know that other Asus one has a small over clock on it. Maybe I will just get an x2 and oc it. :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I played through the demo, and the horse part is there as well, but I think the area is a little different because I don't recall beginning way up there on a hill. The level chosen is mainly just a coincidence. I stumbled on it, remembered I liked it, so I stuck with it.

What's the point of overclocking that beast? You will be hard-pressed to see it's full power executed in most games as it is regardless. Bear in mind also that you will want an 8-Pin PSU connector for overclocking... something few PSU's (except recent ones) include.

THUMPer

Coastermaker
oh yes. i remember after you get the horse, jump the gorge, then you stumble upon some guys, and you have to take them out. then eventually the demo stops.

I would OC it just to say I did. get that extra added "value"
My PSU (thanks to Matt) has like 4, 8 pin PCI-e power adapters.
I don't even think I can afford the card now. So I will just look and wish :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yeah... I never actually made it over the chasm ;-)

I don't have much time to play games, so all the time I usually get is with benchmarking.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Thanks man. I really wish I could say that the card blew my socks off, but that wasn't really the case at all. It did beat out the GTX I've come to love for a while now, but it was so finicky. Most of the problem lies with ATI's drivers though... I hope they issue a more refined release soon... especially to take care of the weak Crysis/NFS: PS performance.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Man, that's a HUGE card........that's where the cardboard case comes in handy....Xacto knife, cut to fit

Merlin

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha. It is a huge card, for sure. As I mentioned, it's about 30% heavier than the GTX, which I already thought to be a large card.

At least it has the power to back its fat ass up.