Are We More Lenient of Bugs in Large Games?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
When Fallout: New Vegas came out last Tuesday, it was met with great reception. The average rating for the PC version at Game Rankings is 85%, which as far as I am concerned, almost puts it in the "must buy" category. You could say that the game lived up to the hype, as its predecessor, Fallout 3, set the bar quite high, with its string of 90% scores. With such excellence, can there be a downside?

Read the rest of our post and discuss it here!

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
This reminds me of a book I read called Game Coding Complete. While focused on coding, it's written by an industry veteran (he worked on a lot of the Ultima Games, for example) and includes many insights into the game industry.

He gives personal accounts of how many classical games were developed. He relates how often, due to time and budget constraints, many bugs become "features". Of course, such bugs are generally not so severe.

It's a great book.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
What I find amusing is the number of people that say the testers never did a good job, they didn't find all these obvious bugs, etc. Just need to politely remind them that the testers probably did find the bugs (and many more you don't know about); the devs, due to time constraints, didn't fix them. Then there's the whole thing of calling testers Quality Assurance.... but i'll leave that for another time...

It is a sad fact that so many games get released in such a buggy state. I remember buying Neverwinter Nights 2 and couldn't complete it for 3 months due to map change crashes (another Obsidian title). Consoles suffer the same problems now, I guess internet updates aren't such a good thing after all, though unfortunate events like with Metroid: Other M can happen - corrupt save and no patches.

Would of thought first impressions were quite important... I guess they don't matter so much anymore. We're sold a promise rather than a finished product. Still, I can't complain too much, Mass Effect 2 was buggy when first released, but that didn't detract from the fun... unlike Alpha Protocol.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Lenient? Maybe. Tolerant? Not in the long run? No.

Look at the new FF online. People are really going nuts over some of the things they are finding.

Last edited: