Are SSD Densities Going to be Halted Next Year?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
A couple of months ago, we linked to an article which stated that SSDs might never replace mechanical storage, at least in the sense that we'd no longer have the need for it again. Today, even if you do have an SSD, chances are good you have a mechanical drive installed as well for actual storage purposes, because quite simply, SSD's are too expensive for that.

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
They'll probably switch to Memristors, but my limited understanding of such tech prevents me from giving an adequate explanation. All i could understand was, they are Resistors with memory, when a charge passes through it in one direction, it increases resistance, when that charge stops, it remembers this resistive state. When applied with a charge on the opposite terminal, it decreases resistance, again, remembering when it stops, thus allowing + and - or 1 and 0 states. Supposedly, this also means that components can be much smaller, since a resistors is just a thin wire. They can also be built up in a 3D lattice, further increasing densities. They can work at DRAM speeds as well, so not only will the densities get higher, but also faster. HP front-ended it along with help from Hynix, but current implementations can only achieve speeds 1/10 that of DRAM, what this equates to is anyone's guess, but we'll see. 2013 is supposedly when they get used in mass production, but my guess is they'll be seriously expensive - or late, lol.