Are Gaming Magazines Going To Die?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Ignoring all the downfalls of the Internet, its proven to be a valuable resource more than anything, becoming the preferred method for gaining information. As Internet usage grows, magazine circulations dwindle. According to a quote from the NY Times, PC Gamer had a circulation of 300,000 in 2003, but has since dropped to 200,000. Future US, its publisher, also noted a 10.4% revenue drop for all of their magazines between 2005 to 2006. Things are not exactly dire, but dropping numbers are hard to ignore.

I personally subscribe to eight different magazines, four of them being gaming-specific. I personally enjoy kicking back and reading well-written editorials and articles instead of being hunched around a bright computer screen all of the time. Not to mention it makes great bathroom material! (For reading!!) I'd hate to see magazines reach a point where they are cancelled in far greater numbers. Remember Tips & Tricks? Next Generation? Computer and Video Games? Atari User?

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
gaming_magazines_111307.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>
To keep print subscribers, Ziff Davis aims to offer better writing and reporting than is available from competitors’ Web sites, as well as striking visuals. Ziff Davis is also embracing the financial power of the special issue: a September issue that came out before the release of the blockbuster game Halo 3 for the Xbox 360 from Microsoft included a 19-page feature section.

Source: New York Times

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I think that print, hard cover pubs of all types are slowly on their way out...........;) About the only thing that I think is going to last is maybe the old hard backed novels.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I think that print, hard cover pubs of all types are slowly on their way out...........;) About the only thing that I think is going to last is maybe the old hard backed novels.

I think there will always be print magazines, but it's going to come to having little choice. I read a variety of magazines and enjoy each and every one of them for different reasons. I'd hate to see them all yanked off the shelves because everyone is sticking to an online-only method of gaining information.

It might not be always the case, but I find a lot of articles in magazines are of higher-quality than what you will find online. Of course, some articles are -far- more in-depth online because there is room for it, but people who write for print magazines really have to work for it.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
there was once an explosion of these magazines... remember that? Yes the market is bigger... but having 30+ mags that deliver some of the same news will eventually hurt some of the bigger companies. Say 10%? I personally like reading some mags... The ones that seem to be a lil less bias. The ones that do not push shit on me. The ones that provide "tips and tricks", hell yeah!

I've heard the gamestop one isn't horrible.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
GameStop has a magazine? For a gaming magazine that has zero bias and great writing, UK Edge is the one to pick up. It's a little more expensive at some places because it's imported, but it's a great magazine.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
OH yeah they do. You also get a 10% boost to trade ins i think if you have the "card" that goes with it.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hmm, did they buy them out, or something? I read that magazine before I ever knew what GameStop was... although it could have been because they were slow to catch on in Canada.

GameMasterNick

Coastermaker
I am still crying over the loss of Inquest Gamer, which published its final installment about 2 months ago. Not the same kind of gaming (it's always been roleplay focused, though eventually became hobby gaming in general and ccg in particular), I know but it's still sad. They won't even have an online component.

Exclusives are what set the print magazines apart, and really, that could be ported over to online very easily. I don't foresee a bright future for that field, I think that (like pictures) the digital form of distribution will eventually take over and paper editions will be something you have made instead of vice-versa.

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
One good thing this is doing to the tech magazines is that we'll start seeing even better writing across the board in the print mags, as well as a lot more in-depth industry analysis and topical material, and a lot more expertise in general.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Who needs magazines when we've got techgage? *grin*

As much as the internet is growing and booming, credibility is still given to print over electronic in most circles.

I don't agree with this in most cases, but it is a reality non the less.

EGM
Tips and Trick (aka EMG^2)

Those were my fav's back in the day.