Arctic Cooling Silentium T2

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hate loud computer noise? Arctic Cooling has an all-in-one solution that already has the proper fan layout and directional airflow you need. However, it also has it's fair share of problems. Does the bad outweigh the good, in this 'case'?

Be sure to check out my review of the case! Feel free to discuss the article here once you are done ;)

Buck-O

Coastermaker
SO where's the bag attatchment to collect all fo the dust bunnies you will be sucking up from the back underside of your desk while this is running?

Im sorry, but you could have the best designed case in the world, and the moment you made it draw air from the base, i would give it the lowest possible recemendation i could.

Suck from the front, the back, heck even from the top. But please dont bother with the bottom of the case, Hoover already has a patent on the vacume cleaner.

Yeas i realize the design is like that to help muffle noise...but still. Bad design.

G

Gimbal

Not Silent Enough

I've been using Silentium 1 for more than a year now, and actually the case does not seem to collect dust more than an ordinary case would.(basicly Silentium 1 doesn't diff much -if any - from Silentium 2)

The plastic bottom where you have to place the case carefully is actually annoying, but usually I am not in a need to look inside of the case so I can live with that. It is amazing that there is no manual or other assembly instructions in the box. I can't understand this kind of marketing from the Artic Cooling.

The biggest complain for me is that the case does not appear to be that silent (remember: I am the next door guy using passive graphics cards ect. to prevent extra noise from being recorded when I do my recordings). The fans accelerate way too early to the max rotation speed where the fan noise is easily described as an audible audio source. It would have been great, if the end user could affect the rotation speeds, but as the case is it can hardly be called silent.

G

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Gimbal said:
It is amazing that there is no manual or other assembly instructions in the box. I can't understand this kind of marketing from the Artic Cooling.

I was talking to AC on the phone yesterday, and apparently I received the 'wrong' case, so to speak. The case I had was not meant to go to anyone, because of a few issues. Apparently, the PSU is indeed supposed to have a PCI-E connecter, but I will have to see that to believe it. Also, the manual *should* have been in there, but wasn't because this was a case someone just threw to the side.

However, I still find that odd, because the box when received, didn't look like it was previously opened. AC is supposed to get back to me regarding a few complaints in the review, and I will addendum the article when she does.

Gimbal, out of curiosity, what kind of recordings do you do? I can understand the need for a quiet PC in that case especially.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
This case, although nicely designed, is about 3 years too late. Would have been great when Socket A was in style. When 400w was standard for a pc. It's a clean looking case, not going to wow your buddies, but does it's job well. Space is an issue, and most are going to need more room these days.

We'll have to wait and see when that next one comes in.

P.S.
Oh lawd, is dat some Dreamcast? :D:D

R

raistlas

case problem...

Hi.I bought a silentium t2 case 2 days ago. But I am worried that the 350 continuous watt may not enough for my system. My system is Asus P5WD2, Pentium D930, 2*512 mb 800 mhz ddr ram, 250 gb harddisk, asus 7900 gt graphic card. Is this case is enough for my system. What do you suggest for this issue. Thanks for your interest....

madmat

Soup Nazi
That PSU calc is way off...according to it my system should pull close to 500W at full load. According to the Magnum EX it's closer to 200W.

U

Unregistered

Hi,
I just searched google and found your review. I have the case but I want to buy the excact same mobo as the one you have used. I was just wondering if you experienced any problems using the hdd "box" and using the IDE connector at the same time? The reason I'm wondering this is that the IDE connector is placed a bit awkward on the bottom of the mobo which means that the space between the ide connector and the hdd "box" must be very very tight.
Could someone plz comment on that?

Peter

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hey Peter,

Hmm... I do think it would be a tight squeeze. I never used the HDD box because a few pieces broke off, so I was unable. I'd assume that it would fit, but it would definitely be a tight squeeze by the looks of things.

P

Panos

What about the new silentium pro cases?

Rob -- just read your detailed & honest review on the silentium case.

It seems that Arctic cooling has come with the second version of their case -- the silentium pro.

Are you planning a review on that too? Could you also add some power efficiency measurements?

Thanks again!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I will consider this, although I have an overwhelming amount of content on the go right now. I will take a look at the new version and see what it offers in comparison to this one though.

As for power efficiency... I will have to look into that one also. If I have the right equipment, it shouldn't be a problem. I am not a power guy, really.

Rob -- just read your detailed & honest review on the silentium case.

It seems that Arctic cooling has come with the second version of their case -- the silentium pro.

Are you planning a review on that too? Could you also add some power efficiency measurements?

Thanks again!

U

Unregistered

Hey Rob,

How did you ever get AC on the phone, I've been having issues with the dealer (case-mod.com) providing me RMA support for the failed power supply in my Silentium T2 case for the past 3 months. They explain to me that their distributor no longer carries AC products, therefore they as a dealer are having trouble getting support from Artic Cooling. I've had the case for 1 year now, and the power supply failed on my in January of 2007, and it's been since then that I've been trying to get some kind of support. I just sent another email to AC hoping they will help me resolve this issue. So back to my original question, how in the world did you ever get AC on the phone?