Apple Wins 'Slide to Unlock' Patent Victory

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hot on the heels of a patent victory the company experienced this past December, Apple has just received another that it can add to its ever-growing collection. While the patent in December against HTC had to do with converting text on the screen into a usable object, the patent in question today against Motorola regards the 'Slide to Unlock' mechanism commonly seen on many mobile devices today.

apple_slide_to_unlock_021612.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Psi*

Tech Monkey
So I guess my ColorNook will soon be getting a new update

There is no way that I can believe that some developer (such as for the Nook) did not actually get the idea from an Apple device. Personally, I think people that put their employers should be held liable ... as well as their management & legal.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I can't see this ruling last. Surely it will be overturned.

Slide to unlock is a fantastic idea but one that is so general that I don't see how ownership of that idea could be given to one party or another.

marfig

No ROM battery
I can't see this ruling last. Surely it will be overturned.

Slide to unlock is a fantastic idea but one that is so general that I don't see how ownership of that idea could be given to one party or another.

Motorola announced the intention to appeal. So not only there's a strong chance it will be overturned, but for the time being this ruling will just have no effect on current devices.

eunoia

Partition Master
Don't the Ancient Greeks hold all the patents for simple machines and almost all good ideas? How come the modern Greeks are going broke?

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
Don't the Ancient Greeks hold all the patents for simple machines and almost all good ideas? How come the modern Greeks are going broke?

The patents expired, they licensed them and then forgot to account for inflation so they got paid like a penny a year total.