Apple to Pay Out Dividends; Buy Back $10b Worth of Shares

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
After Apple posted its best-ever quarter this past January, many wondered what the company would do with the sheer amount of cash it has in the bank. With the $13.06 billion in profited that quarter, the company reached $97.6 billion in the bank, a staggering number to say the least. Many speculated that the company would simply buy back some stock, rather than make some huge investment or acquisition, but in the end, it looks like it could be both of those things.

apple_large_logo_122011.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

MacMan

Partition Master
I've seen in a video report today that by the time Apple pays out that $45 billion, over the next three years, it should have even more money in the bank than it does now, some $150 plus! That's amazing considering how Steve Ballmer loves to refer to Apple as nothing but a 'rounding error'! Personally, I would have preferred, but what-in-hell do I know, was to see Apple buy out out AMD, Adobe or even Intel! There were rumors that it was interested in AMD and Arm, which it helped to co-create with Acorn but after Steve returned he sold off Apple's 50% stake. For some reason Apple only seems interested in small acquisitions, but that was under the 'Steve', and it's clear that Tim Cook is taking Apple down an entirely new path so it will be interesting to see how Apple does four of five years down the road.

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
Given its most recent NAND-flash designer purpose, I'd hardly say that Apple is solely interested in "small" acquisitions so much as very strategic ones.

The cash the company had on hand would never have been sufficient to purchase Intel (market cap $135bn, roughly x2 when you include goodwill and treasury stock) and the acquisition of AMD would be foolish given that company's struggles. Apple also has in-house products that compete with Adobe quite admirably in most artistic areas, so that acquisition would serve little benefit either.

Acquisitions as a whole are (from a business/accounting standpoint) a bad policy if they can be avoided - they are tremendously expensive and about half of the acquisition is wasted costs. Newly acquired subsidiaries are then usually a drain on their new parents for between three and five years. That's part of why Steve-O always did very small, tech-patent heavy purchases: They wasted the least money (very little corporate governance duplication) and create future values in acquired technology and its licensing. If Cook steers too far away from that (which the board would never allow), he'll find Apple's cash reserves depleted and nothing to show for it but stake in an aggressive lowest-cost market, which Apple has *never* survived well in.

The dividend is a pittance and if I were a shareholder, I'd be a bit miffed - but the share buyback is an interesting play.

marfig

No ROM battery
It would probably be near impossible, since these companies aren't for sale. Without an agreement between both companies, only a hostile takeover could allow Apple the control of any of these companies. Market regulators would probably stop Apple right there and then. But assuming they didn't, the problem with hostile takeovers is that they have a buyout period that the buyer must observe, during which time the stock price will rise (it's not unheard of it doubling), making their purchase even more expensive. So, take the current market cap, add treasure stock and multiply by a factor of maybe 1.5 to get the final price on a hostile takeover.

The sheer weight of money doesn't buy anything and everything. Many companies (and the markets in general) know very well the inflated value of the stock options they have in hand. Apple is such a case. It's only because they keep making money of it they allow the company to present such a high market value. And therein lies the biggest problem of Apple; one big fail and the company may topple like a castle of cards. Heck... all it takes is actually a moment of panic and the order to sell, sell, sell. Apple may be doing everything right, but something outside its control just happens that leads the markets to overreact. How many times we've seen this happen?...

So, in this sense, it would actually be good if Apple could buy something outside their core business and make it grow. Because contrary to companies like Microsoft who can afford huge loses on one division and still end the quarter with better results than the last one, Apple is almost exclusively dependent on a single business. If (when) the competition catches up, Apple will have nothing else to hold itself onto. It's no wonder that it fights like a berserk samurai to defend every patent it holds.

Last edited:

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
@Marfig: The hostile takeover price is roughly included in my Market x2 price. Companies rarely hold 1/3 treasury stock, and the increase in purchase price (goodwill) during a hostile takeover brings us up to...well, you can see the math in there now, I'm sure.

Anyhow, I agree that it could be beneficial for Apple to go outside of its normal market as far as portfolio diversification is concerned, but that's just not the company's MO. Diversified conglomerates largely sustain and service product markets instead of move them, as gains in one sector end up being used partly to cover losses in another sector. It's part of the problem that MS experiences, and why its share price has languished for years on end - the company no longer has the cash capable in any one sector to drive or innovate much, because when a sector has good years the funds get funneled to maintain bad years in others, and a bad year in those can often be just plain bad, forever. Think of the Zune, and think of if MS had instead been able to use all that money towards making Windows or Office into a better product.

We still need market innovators, and there's nothing wrong with a company recognizing that at its core, it redefines and invents - which often means it needs its patents so that it can get paid for those things. The same argument can (and should) be carried to major Pharmaceuticals.

Is Apple's share price obscenely overvalued? Absolutely. :) But hey, at least unlike Google, it has 100bn in cash and a shedload of patents that have market worth!

marfig

No ROM battery
@Marfig: The hostile takeover price is roughly included in my Market x2 price. Companies rarely hold 1/3 treasury stock, and the increase in purchase price (goodwill) during a hostile takeover brings us up to...well, you can see the math in there now, I'm sure.

Yup.

Anyhow, I agree that it could be beneficial for Apple to go outside of its normal market as far as portfolio diversification is concerned, but that's just not the company's MO.

Careful. It was exactly the exploration of a new market that which saved Apple from an eventual bankruptcy. Although I admit that once you are on pole position of your new market, there's little incentive to diversify. In that sense I agree.

However, I don't see how Apple can secure for long a dominant position in the market of mobile devices. It already lost it on the smartphones business and it will eventually cave in to the efforts of its many competitors on the tablet business. It's just a fact of life that in this industry, the innovators lose market share. After all, where can you go after you become the dominant species? Only in one direction.

Question then is, how will you be when you are faced in a situation where shareholders start selling in lieu of a new and more exciting kid in the block? With just your core business to account for, you might be in trouble.

Diversified conglomerates largely sustain and service product markets instead of move them, as gains in one sector end up being used partly to cover losses in another sector. It's part of the problem that MS experiences, and why its share price has languished for years on end - the company no longer has the cash capable in any one sector to drive or innovate much, because when a sector has good years the funds get funneled to maintain bad years in others, and a bad year in those can often be just plain bad, forever.

True, true. Although I think there's more to it. The matter of fact is that companies like Intel, IBM, Microsoft, Exxon, and many others offer a lot more security to investors than an upstart innovators like Apple who may just lose it all "in one day".

While their shares seem to fluctuate like a placid lake, they have however cemented themselves in their industries and are as inevitable as the markets themselves. And they innovate. On a constant basis. It's a false belief that these companies aren't pushing the technology envelope of innovation.

What happens instead is that the financial markets are motivated by perceived stock opportunities, which upstart innovators are particularly permeable for. It's why we had a dot-com bubble. It's also a lot easier and cheaper to push the stock price of a company which comes from behind the lines with an interesting and easily marketable product. However, companies like Intel, IBM, Microsoft, Exxon, etc are much more valuable than what their stock price says they are. In function of their position, they ended up locking themselves "above" the financial markets influence. This does make it harder for them to increase their value, but it gives them the needed peace of mind that they can at least hope to control their stock prices highs and lows.

Think of the Zune, and think of if MS had instead been able to use all that money towards making Windows or Office into a better product.

Nah. I don't think their problem is sharing the bad results among other divisions. The problem with Microsoft is in my opinion the bad policies that took place over the last 10 years and that have slowly eroding the interest of potential workers on the company.

Microsoft can hardly convince anyone who matters to go work for them, these days. Its benefits packages, internal evaluation policies and general working environment have been underfire by even Microsoft employees and administrators. There used to be a time when Microsoft was the Google of a few years ago, or the Valve or Apple of our times. When securing a job at Microsoft was a lifetime achievement a a cause for great celebration.

Today the company isn't sought out by new brains and isn't just attractive enough to potential workers. Sure they do get very competent and qualified people on certain key and established divisions (the server division for instance). But when trying to get something new into the market, the company has been struggling hard to get good people from the job market and falls too easily prey to internal conflict; a practice that has become very common due in great part to the company disastrous internal policies. Zune was such a case; internal conflicts stopped this project from being gutted right at birth and ended up with millions lost on a white elephant. That and the bleeding of a few more good workers because they had enough of Microsoft.

Last edited:

eunoia

Partition Master
My broker is an idiot. I thought I bought this 12 years ago, but it turns out I'm heavily invested in Granny Smith and Red Delicious.