Apple Sub-Notebook Announcement Expected at Macworld

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
The Apple rumor-train is in full speed with a leak of an upcoming sub-notebook that should be announced at Macworld - two weeks from now. Given the fact that the ASUS Eee and OLPC are performing incredibly well, it's no surprise that Apple would want to push their own offering out as soon as possible. That fact in itself makes this rumor a bit believable.

According to the rumor, the initial sub-notebook will not include an optical drive, but rather offer one as an add-on. Since a sub-notebook is meant to be portable, this move actually makes sense. You can leave the drive home when it's not needed, or take it if you do. While I am interested to see what Apple has in store, I can't seem to shake the nagging assumption that it's going to retail for twice what the competition goes for. Hopefully we will know in two weeks.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
apple_computer_large_news_logo.png

</td></tr></tbody></table>
Apple is also said to be introducing more than one notebook revision at Macworld. What combination of Sub-Notebook, MacBook or MacBook Pro remains unknown, but we've heard that at least one of these new notebooks will incorporate a multi-touch trackpad. The possibility of a multi-touch trackpad has been suggested by both rumors and published patent applications but has not previously been explicitly confirmed.

Source: MacRumors

MacMan

Partition Master
Yes, indeed - kick ass Mac Ultra is on the way!

From our front-page news:
The Apple rumor-train is in full speed with a leak of an upcoming sub-notebook that should be announced at Macworld - two weeks from now. Given the fact that the ASUS Eee and OLPC are performing incredibly well, it's no surprise that Apple would want to push their own offering out as soon as possible. That fact in itself makes this rumor a bit believable.

According to the rumor, the initial sub-notebook will not include an optical drive, but rather offer one as an add-on. Since a sub-notebook is meant to be portable, this move actually makes sense. You can leave the drive home when it's not needed, or take it if you do. While I am interested to see what Apple has in store, I can't seem to shake the nagging assumption that it's going to retail for twice what the competition goes for. Hopefully we will know in two weeks.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
apple_computer_large_news_logo.png

</td></tr></tbody></table>
Apple is also said to be introducing more than one notebook revision at Macworld. What combination of Sub-Notebook, MacBook or MacBook Pro remains unknown, but we've heard that at least one of these new notebooks will incorporate a multi-touch trackpad. The possibility of a multi-touch trackpad has been suggested by both rumors and published patent applications but has not previously been explicitly confirmed.

Source: MacRumors

Yes, and I think it will put to shame other ultra portables if the recent reports, as can be seen below, are correct:

http://gizmodo.com/339918/apple-docking-patent-works-perfectly-with-ultra+slim-macbook

And here is a so-called leaked photo of the ultra Mac portable:

http://news.worldofapple.com/archives/2008/01/03/photo-of-ultra-portable-mac-macbook-revision/

It's unusual for Apple to introduce MacPro Xeons, as they did yesterday, a full week ahead of Macworld.

In other words - something Big is coming this MacWorld. I would bet on it!