Apple Safari - Soon to Be Real Competition to IE and Firefox in Windows?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Last summer, Apple made a surprise announcement at WWDC about Safari's heading to Windows. To give that announcement some merit, a beta was released later that day. It was quickly discovered though, that the new browser was not much of a threat to IE, Opera or Firefox, for numerous reasons, and because of that, it didn't take too long before it was completely forgotten about.

Things change now, however. Apple has released Safari 3.1 for both OS X and Windows, and Ars Technica took the latest revision for a spin on their Windows OS. Overall, the browser turned out to be quite stable, on par with the competition, but left a smaller memory footprint than Firefox. It also scored the highest in the Acid 3 test by a large margin, so Apple is definitely on the right path to making itself real competition.

Even now though, the browser is lacking in a few small regards. It doesn't even include a "New Tab" button, which could drive some people nuts (me included), but once these small issues are ironed out, Safari may very-well increase in usage quick.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
apple_safari_31_ars_technica_032608.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
...we ran into problems trying to add certain buttons to the toolbar. Doing so would consistently fail, but a restart fixed this. I can live with Control-T and the few bugs that will be fixed soon. Apple has bigger fish to fry, though (like fonts), if it wants to accomplish something with this browser on Windows.

Source: Ars Technica

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I had this on my other machine along with Avante and Mozilla, just to see what the difference was.

Most web sites are more IE friendly than the others, so I switched back to IE

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Tried it twice, didn't really like it either time............;)

And just read this morning about several huge security hole in it again, and Apple hasn't been the fastest in repairing these on the Windows side of the house, or their own OS for that matter.http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/199844.html

Last edited:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Tried it twice, didn't really like it either time............;)

And just read this morning about several huge security hole in it again, and Apple hasn't been the fastest in repairing these on the Windows side of the house, or their own OS for that matter.http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/199844.html
What about AVANT

http://www.avantbrowser.com/

It's clean simple browser
I had it on the other machine and used it a lot.....just a simple way to surf

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I would never even load it on any PC just because it says Apple. Yes, I am that petty.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Saw about that security hole... that's nuts. There were a few holes in the initial Windows release also, when it was launched last summer.

I am SO drawn into Firefox that I don't think I could just drop it that easily. I've been using it since before it was ever called Firefox... and no other browser has been able to replace it. I tried to give Opera a chance, but found it's interface to be highly counter-intuitive, so I dropped it very fast.

Firefox is good, but it has it's own share of serious problems. The fact that it hogs memory like there is no tomorrow and also halts for me quite often is irritating. I just hope FF 3.0 fixes a lot of wrongs.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Opera all the way for me. Definitely took some work to get used to the interface, but it was extremely customizable once I got past the initial adjusting phase...

Faster and works on more sites than IE, and none of the plug-in hell that Firefox requires for the same functionality. I don't lose tabs in the rare event of a crash, Opera is miserly on memory+cpu usage with a bit of tweaking, and definitely still more secure of a browser without any form of ActiveX to mess with. It could do with some improvement on cookie handling though. Last couple builds of the 9.50 beta have it doing 77% on the Acid 3 test under OS X, just behind Safari.