Apple Releases Santa Rosa MacBook Pros

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From the news post:

Apple has just announced that they have updated their MacBook Pro line, which take advantage of Intel's Santa Rosa platform and LED-backlit displays. 15-inch and 17-inch models are available, starting off at $1,999 for a 2.2GHz with 2GB of ram and the 15-inch screen.

The MacBook Pro’s lightweight, aluminum enclosure is just one-inch thin and is available in three models: 2.2 GHz and 2.4 GHz 15-inch MacBook Pro models, and a 2.4 GHz 17-inch MacBook Pro model. The new 15-inch MacBook Pro models feature a brand-new, power-efficient LED-backlit display and are the first of Apple’s notebooks to transition to LED backlighting as part of the company’s effort to eliminate the use of mercury in its products.

Apples "going green" program is kicking off right now. It's unknown whether the updated MacBook Pros are completely mercury free, but they are on the road to a more environmentally friendly Apple, which is reassuring.
Each of the laptops is upgradeable to 4GB of ram ($750 option!) and includes an 8600GT NVIDIA card. The 15-inch models deliver a 1440x900 resolution while the 17-inch uses a beastly 1680x1050.

Unlike those bathroom-esque styled MacBooks, the MacBook Pro has a gorgeous aluminum body. If you are planning on picking up a new Apple notebook, the Pros are going to be difficult to resist.

Apple Press Release

MacMan

Partition Master
I hope to get one soon; but what about the Nividia 8600 GT?

From the news post:

Apple has just announced that they have updated their MacBook Pro line, which take advantage of Intel's Santa Rosa platform and LED-backlit displays. 15-inch and 17-inch models are available, starting off at $1,999 for a 2.2GHz with 2GB of ram and the 15-inch screen.

The MacBook Pro’s lightweight, aluminum enclosure is just one-inch thin and is available in three models: 2.2 GHz and 2.4 GHz 15-inch MacBook Pro models, and a 2.4 GHz 17-inch MacBook Pro model. The new 15-inch MacBook Pro models feature a brand-new, power-efficient LED-backlit display and are the first of Apple’s notebooks to transition to LED backlighting as part of the company’s effort to eliminate the use of mercury in its products.

Apples "going green" program is kicking off right now. It's unknown whether the updated MacBook Pros are completely mercury free, but they are on the road to a more environmentally friendly Apple, which is reassuring.
Each of the laptops is upgradeable to 4GB of ram ($750 option!) and includes an 8600GT NVIDIA card. The 15-inch models deliver a 1440x900 resolution while the 17-inch uses a beastly 1680x1050.

Unlike those bathroom-esque styled MacBooks, the MacBook Pro has a gorgeous aluminum body. If you are planning on picking up a new Apple notebook, the Pros are going to be difficult to resist.

Apple Press Release

The MacbookPRO is a computer I plan to buy soon. I will wait until after the WWDC conference next week, just in case I see something more appealing.

As much as I like the little dinky Macbooks, the Pro puts it too shame. I have played with a MacBook Pro and everything from the clean ultra look of the aluminum case, to the wickedly cool lighted keyboard, its the computer for me. I love the built-in sensor control... its seems to be the laptop I have been waiting for. It will also be my first laptop. :)

I really love the Toshiba and HP laptops and the Lamborgini is super cool too, but the simple lines of the MacBook, the absince of stickers, etc., I find it still has a slight edge in looks anyway.

The only thing I like to know more about is the graphic card, the Nividia 8600 GT? Is it a good one, as I know nothing of such things? I did hear that it is really good for Vista (which I plan to add alongside Sabyon Linux) and I also heard its great for video, but I was just wondering if anybody knew anything about it?

Since most of the guys and girls in here are much more knowledgeable than I in such things, having built their own computers and such, I was wondering what you thought of the Nividia 8600?.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I agree with the sticker-less aspect. That's one thing about most laptops that bugs the hell out of me. The 8600GT is a good mid-range video card, I don't have any complaints about their choice. Anything more probably would be a waste. That card there should allow anyone to get their game on if they wanted to. It's far superior to the 7300GT.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The first review of the new MacBook Pro is available in what must be record time, but the author was quite impressed.

"This is an excellent upgrade to the MacBook Pro, I'm extremely satisfied with it so far. I'm new to Mac computers, new to OS X, but I am one happy switcher. The MBP would be an excellent choice for anyone looking to purchase a performance laptop, or even desktop replacement. Combine that performance with Apple's sexy design, and the MBP is a great purchase."

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3747

MacMan

Partition Master
Interesting, but odd....

The first review of the new MacBook Pro is available in what must be record time, but the author was quite impressed.

"This is an excellent upgrade to the MacBook Pro, I'm extremely satisfied with it so far. I'm new to Mac computers, new to OS X, but I am one happy switcher. The MBP would be an excellent choice for anyone looking to purchase a performance laptop, or even desktop replacement. Combine that performance with Apple's sexy design, and the MBP is a great purchase."

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3747

I read that review before, and then again. Its odd, because the first time I reviewed the review, it viewed an extra pic, that of the MBP with the backlite keyboard.

Not sure why, but I clipped the pic because I think it just looks so cool, so for what its worth, I post it below. :)

Attachments

• Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    652.6 KB · Views: 594