Apple Releases Safari 4 Beta

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Two summers ago, Apple at their WWDC conference announced that their Safari browser would be released for the Windows platform, alongside their OS X offering. This was rather significant news, but thanks to some issues that plagued the original release, the browser didn't remain in the limelight for too long. That changed a bit last spring when the company followed-up with their 3.1 release, but even then, Safari has had a rough time making real headway with the likes of Mozilla Firefox and IE dominating the market.

Apple hopes that this fact will change sooner than later, and to help coax more people to try out their browser, they've today unveiled a beta version of 4.0, a high-tech offering that is the first to pass the gruelling Acid3 test (I verified, it does indeed score 100/100). According to Apple, it also renders Javascript 4.2 times faster than Safari 3, and 3 times faster than Firefox 3... bold claims, and claims I'm sure some will be investigated soon.

Improvements as such are nice, but there's a lot new on the UI front as well. The browser sports a brand-new interface that reminds me nothing of the previous version, and I have to say, it looks quite nice. It's not as minimal as Google Chrome, but it's close. Despite the clean look though, there's a lot of eye-candy, including smooth transitions and even a replica "flipper" feature that allows you to flip through recent sites and searches.

There's too much new to mention here, but if you are curious about trying out a new browser, or want to upgrade from Safari 3, then the beta sure seems stable enough to begin using for full-time purposes. I could be wrong though, and there's always a risk you take with betas. But given Apple is actually making this the default download for Safari, even they must find it stable enough.

apple_safari_4_022409.jpg

Apple is leading the industry in defining and implementing innovative web standards such as HTML 5 and CSS 3 for an entirely new class of web applications that feature rich media, graphics and fonts. Safari 4 includes HTML 5 support for offline technologies so web-based applications can store information locally without an Internet connection, and is the first browser to support advanced CSS Effects that enable highly polished web graphics using reflections, gradients and precision masks.

Source: Apple Press Release

I just loaded the browser up. It seems snappy, but there are a few interface tweaks I'm not crazy about. Safari's version of "Tabs on Top" doesn't look as good as Chrome, in my opinion, but the aesthetics are a minor complaint and I'm sure they'll change before the final version.

Out of all of my "extensions," AdBlock and Foxmarks worked without a hitch. 1Password needed a quick update, but I'm sure it was simply because of a max version declare they use, and nothing was changed under the hood. Not bad for a program that doesn't offer official extension support.

Edit: WTH. It seems Apple removed the ability to save a web page as an application that was introduced in the private beta.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You know, I've been hearing a lot more bad about this browser than good, which kind of surprises me. I haven't used it much and don't plan to, but from what I saw, I thought it was pretty cool. I can appreciate the fact that they're adding cool effects to the browsing experience, such as the transition effects. They seem like a small deal, but they are very cool.

I agree on the extensions front... that's awesome. As far as I know, even Google Chrome can't use any plugins like that.