Apple Releases First MacBook Pro with 'Retina' Display

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
At its annual WWDC, Apple announced a MacBook Pro 15" refresh that's sure to turn heads. Let's just get out with it: 2880x1800. Yes, that's the resolution. As in, 5.184 megapixels. With that resolution, this 15" notebook has more pixels than a 30" monitor at 2560x1600. For an even better perspective, the previous "best" for 15" notebooks has been 1920x1080. The latest MacBook Pro increased that by a factor of about 2.5x.

apple_macbook_pro_june_2012_061112_thumb.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

MacMan

Partition Master
Beautiful laptop, maybe even the best yet, but sadly, for most people, just like myself, it's completely out of reach price wise.

Oh well, I could always buy a lotto ticket and dream, can't I? :(

madmat

Soup Nazi
I guess I'm the only person who thinks this is about the dumbest thing ever. A huge resolution is fine on a huge monitor because you have the physical real estate to make the displayed item appear legible. For instance, a 20" monitor at 1680X1050 displaying a 50pX50p thumbnail will take up enough room that the thumbnail will be easily discernible. you drop the monitor size down to 15.3" and crank the resolution to 2880X1800 and the same 50pX50p thumbnail is now about 1/2 the physical size or smaller than it was at 1680X1050 on the larger monitor.

This means you've got to double the size of icons on the desktop plus the font you use because that will shrink as well. That eats up video memory.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
I guess I'm the only person who thinks this is about the dumbest thing ever. A huge resolution is fine on a huge monitor because you have the physical real estate to make the displayed item appear legible. For instance, a 20" monitor at 1680X1050 displaying a 50pX50p thumbnail will take up enough room that the thumbnail will be easily discernible. you drop the monitor size down to 15.3" and crank the resolution to 2880X1800 and the same 50pX50p thumbnail is now about 1/2 the physical size or smaller than it was at 1680X1050 on the larger monitor.

This means you've got to double the size of icons on the desktop plus the font you use because that will shrink as well. That eats up video memory.

I strongly agree with this, its just dumb, higher res on 15" sure but not this, who needs a resolution this high anyways?

madmat

Soup Nazi
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-with-Retina-Display-Teardown/9462/#.T9lx1LUpVW9

This was linked to over at another site, thought it was relevant.

Ram, soldered to the board, proprietary SSD and glued in batteries... and the display is fused together so it's a replace not repair part. Makes one feel all warm and fuzzy about laying out a bunch of money on something that can't be upgraded and probably won't live long past the warranty expiration thanks to the battery setup.