Apple Releases AirPort Express Mobile 802.11n Router

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Networking gear doesn't catch my eye too often, but the latest release from Apple is rather cool. The AirPort Express is a small device that plugs directly into a power socket, and doesn't seem much larger than a regular cell phone charger. This is built for mobility, though, so it's perfect for solo business trips or trips with numerous people.

The device doesn't support a wired connection, but that's unsurprising given its size. Instead, the goal is to provide wireless access, using 802.11n speeds, and not take up much room in the process. For a home environment, having a standard router would make more sense since wired connections tend to be far more stable, but this unit seems to be perfect if you require a mobile router.

In addition to supporting 10 simultaneous connections, it also acts as a print server, allowing you to connect one via USB. Setup should also prove quite easy, but it will require Mac OS X or Windows. After that point, anyone should be able to connect. The Airport Express retails for $99 and is available now.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
apple_airport_express_031708.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
Apple's AirPort Utility software provides easy step-by-step instructions for setting up and configuring AirPort Express; and with its advanced security features, AirPort Express safeguards data on networked computers with support for Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA/WPA2), 128-bit WEP encryption and a built-in firewall. Apple now includes 802.11n as standard in its entire line of AirPort base stations and Mac notebooks as well as iMac(R), Apple TV(R) and Time Capsule(TM).

Source: Apple AirPort Extreme

MacMan

Partition Master
Apple's new Express Wireless Unit

This unit, I do believe, is about the same size as the unit it replaces. In that case, I can attest to it's small size, about the same as my Motorola cell charger; it can fit very comfortably in one hand.

As per performance, that I can't say; but, people that I do know, who have purchased the previous model, were extremely pleased with it. No complaints.

As for me, however, I must say that like like the new Time Capsule version. This matches perfectly with the new MacBook Air, which I don't own, but am extremely impressed with after playing with one at a local FutureShop outlet.

It is so light, so slim, that passerby's literally stop and swoon over it. Once Apple starts equipping them with IBM's new 160 Giga Byte solid state drives though, I might just bite. The enhanced multi-touch pad literally makes other traditional track pads seem so out of date and primitive. They work so well and are a real time saver. Plus - they are just plain fun to use! The machine was a lot more impressive, over all, than I originally thought it would be, and that despite it's perceived short comings. Maybe thats why, to a lot of people's surprise, its' actually selling like hot cakes!

Go figure?

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I like the Time Capsule idea... it makes perfect sense. If it was available in a router, it would be worthy of the extra price. I have a very intricate backup scheme, so I don't exactly need something like that, but many people are not so determined to write their own backup scripts.

As for the multi-touch, I thought that was more of a software enhancement, not hardware based? It's hard to keep anything straight nowadays though.