Apple Announces Mac OS X 10.8 'Mountain Lion'

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Apple has today announced the next version of its Mac OS X operating system, "Mountain Lion". This marks the ninth major release in the series, and is due out in late summer 2012. Those who have developer accounts with Apple can download the preview today, and get a jump on porting their software to it. There's a fair bit new here, so let's jump right to it.

mac_os_x_108_021612.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
So it looks like Apple is adopting a minor/major/minor annual release cycle here. Leopard to Snow Leopard, now Lion to Mountain lion.

All I can say is, it's great to have two different versions of OS X named after me. :p

Meh.

Microsoft did this with XP and called it SP3.

Only because by that time Longhorn had already missed all it's deadlines and clearly wasn't going to release remotely near when it was supposed to. :) And frankly, XP needed all the help it could get... SP3 was free, too!

Given the ~$30 price of OS X, the upgrade cost is pretty minimal anyway.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
So it looks like Apple is adopting a minor/major/minor annual release cycle here. Leopard to Snow Leopard, now Lion to Mountain lion.

All I can say is, it's great to have two different versions of OS X named after me. :p

Only because by that time Longhorn had already missed all it's deadlines and clearly wasn't going to release remotely near when it was supposed to. :) And frankly, XP needed all the help it could get... SP3 was free, too!

Given the ~$30 price of OS X, the upgrade cost is pretty minimal anyway.

I was partly kidding. You can't fault Apple for selling OSX for next to nothing. I love them for that.

MacMan

Partition Master
I wasn't all that impressed after reading about Mountain Lion, but after seeing it in action, via a The Verge video, I'm really starting to like it! Apple, being Apple, is probably keeping several major features secret until its released no doubt. You can check the video out below:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/16/2801047/mac-os-x-10-8-mountain-lion-preview-photos-video

OS X Lion Galaxy wallpaper can be downloaded here:

http://www.cultofmac.com/146895/download-os-x-mountain-lions-hi-res-new-default-wallpaper-here/

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I love integration center on my iPhone. It's nice to see it added to Mountain Lion. Syncing among all Apple devices is a nice idea but iCloud MURDERED the battery life on my phone so I have it disabled. It would be worthless for people who have done the same.