Another BitTorrent Tracking Site Bites the Dust

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
It is not a good time to be the admin of a BitTorrent tracker website. Just days ago, popular UK TV torrent tracking site, TV-Links.co.uk was shut down, with the owner arrested. Now, the same scenario has occurred with Oink.cd (previously Oink.me.uk), a site with over 180,000 members and what's said to have been the leading source for pre-release albums.

In addition to servers being seized, the 24-year-old Middlesbrough owner was arrested. The past year in particular has been rough on BitTorrent websites, with some being forced to block visitors from specific Countries and others being shut down without warning. Somehow, though, the Pirate Bay folks continue to manage success.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
oinkmeuk_news_logo.png
</td></tr></tbody></table>
Pre-release piracy is regarded as particularly damaging because it leads to unauthorized mixes or unfinished versions of artists' recordings appearing months before they are meant to. Often it is those in the industry, who get promotional or demonstration copies of albums before their release, who are involved in leaking them to file-sharing sites.

Source: Reuters

GameMasterNick

Coastermaker
Free exchange of knowledge has its drawbacks, especially for those who have relied on copyright law and the enforcment thereof for their livelihoods. Unfortunately, there isn't any universal method to stop piracy of this nature, as the concept of being able to copyright an 'intellectual property', i.e. idea, hasn't been established as a worldwide one. Pirate radio still exists decades after the FCC, I suspect file pirates will exist after the RIAA is disbanded and penniless.

moon111

Coastermaker
There's a real market for hard-copy pirates. People don't want to mess with downloading, burning, etc. Too much work. Someone with a DVD duplicater could make allot of dough.