AMD's B3 Opterons Finally En Route to Vendors

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
We've covered AMD Phenom's LTB bug to some degree in the past, but hopefully from this point forward, not much more will need to be said. The reason? AMD has finally begun shipping the B3-revision processors which rids the rare, but nasty bug.

Though the first shipment of CPUs goes to vendors, appropriately so, they should become available in the retail channel within the month. In addition to the bug patch, the processors should become more readily available, and will also be seen in frequencies ranging from 1.8GHz to 2.4GHz. The higher-clocked Opterons are in queue to begin appearing this fall.

Are these new releases going to save Phenom? It's hard to say, but it sure won't hurt. Coupled with the fact that we will not see higher-clocked chips until later this year and also the fact that current Phenom's don't boast great overclocking headroom, the enthusiast market might be slow to pick up on them. Unless prices begin to go down of course. Then things could change entirely.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
amd_barcelona_core_large_logo.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
In addition to fixing the TLB race condition, AMD will finally increase the core frequency of the Opteron series on the B3 stepping. After the initial OEM orders are filled, channel vendors like Newegg and TigerDirect will carry the new Opterons in frequencies ranging from 1.8 GHz to 2.4 GHz. Vendor estimates put this e-tailer ship date in early April.

Source: DailyTech

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I have to say the real reason I did not pick up a Phenom is the utter lack of motherboard choices. Initial batches are not supposed to clock any better than the current releases, but let's let the CPU's do the talking when retail samples hit the street.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I'm not holding my breath just yet, I'll sit back as watch just what happens with the things before I get overly excited.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The motherboard choices are kind of ridiculous, but I guess that comes with the lack of demand. Companies don't want to invest too much time and effort and develop a wide range of boards like we see with Intel.