AMDs acquisition of ATI near complete

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
"MARKHAM, Ontario - October 13, 2006 - ATI Technologies Inc. (TSX: ATY, NASDAQ: ATYT) shareholders voted overwhelmingly today to approve the proposed acquisition of all outstanding common shares of ATI by an indirect, wholly-owned subsidiary of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD). More than 99 per cent of the votes cast by shareholders were in favor of the transaction. No ATI shareholders have exercised rights of dissent in connection with the proposed acquisition.

This is one of the smallest press releases to come out of AMD, but one of the most important. Shareholders agree to the acquisition, so now they only need the courts approval. It's unlikely that there will be any sort of objection, so the acquisition should be finalized on Oct 23... just 10 days away."

http://techgage.com/news/amd_ati_acquisition_near_complete

Things a looking good for AMD... In only 10 days they should be the proud new owner of ATI.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Although this will benefit both companies, I'm kinda worried about the overall outcome in the computer market. Two main component companies getting together as one. It could get pretty strange in the tech world.

In all reality, there's only 2 cpu producers, and two vga producers. You've got Intel/AMD and ATI/nVidia. These two companies getting together is going to make the market a bit one sided. nVidia is not going to stop producing AMD chipsets, but ATI will have a big advantage knowing the ins and outs of AMD's cores.

Could we see better, newer ATI chipsets? Most definitely. Will they be better than the nVidia ones? Only time will tell. Things will definitely start heating up in the performance race. As if it wasn't already a big competition.

Personally, I think the two should have stayed seperate. Would have kept the market balanced. Alas, I can't make those decisions.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I dont think this will be a bad thing at all. So many positives that can come out of this. Sure there are minor things but whatever, I am an optimist.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm not. I think this is bullshit personally. Keep things the way they are and stop risking things for the consumer. Seems to be hurting the Intel fans more than anything though.

Yes, I am a hardcore pessimist at times.