AMD X2 4200+ 939?

linnerd40

Obliviot
Hello all.
Well, I think it is time to upgrade my processor once again. I am currently running on an AMD Athlon 3700+ San Diego Core @ 2.7Ghz. I really like the processor, but I have been dying to get a dual core. Problem is... I hardly have any money to spend, so I must stay on the 939 socket. So, my question is: is it worth it to upgrade to an AMD X2 4200+ Toledo Core ? What benefits will I experience? Anything? I plan to overclock the processor too, so about how far could I take it? I was wanting to get the 4400+, but I can't find it anywhere anymore as it is no longer produced (or is it worth buying this processor on ebay?).
Yeah, I just wanted some opinions on the matter. Thanks!

NicePants42

Partition Master
The main benefits of two cores is more multitasking ability and increased performance in some games and multi-threaded applications. I don't know what you're using your PC for, or what your current bottleneck(s) are, so I can't comment on the improvements you'll see. For instance, if you're a gamer with a 7300gs, a dual core CPU probably isn't going to help you.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Like Nate said, it will be worth it if you multi-task a lot. Gaming, it won't make a real difference with. If you don't care THAT much about smoother multi-tasking, or faster multi-threaded-capable apps, I'd put the money aside and save up for a full revamped rig.