AMD Would Purchase AGEIA... If Price Were Right

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
If there were such thing as a physics-powered pot sitting around, it would be AMD's Richard Huddy doing the stirring. In two separate interviews, Huddy gives his opinions on hardware-based physics (a la AGEIA). First off are mentions of GPU-based phyics, which Huddy explains is not going to happen anytime soon. In fact, he mentions specifics: DirectX 11. Considering that is far off, AGEIA could not be happier at Huddy's coming forward.

Here's where all of this intertwines. In the second interview, Huddy mentions that AMD would consider purchasing AGEIA if the price were right. This is something that I've thought about often, and it all seems to make sense. Intel just purchased Havok, so purchasing AGEIA as well would see a little out of place. On the other hand, AMD is not in a position to make another acquisition, as they are struggling to make up for their purchase of ATI last year.

What about AGEIA, though? This is a company who have been pushing their PhysX processor for well over two years, but haven't made the mark they need to in the gaming industry. An acquisition by a financially stable purchaser would serve the company well, but again, that company is not likely to be AMD right now. Whatever does happen though, needs to happen soon, if AGEIA is to survive the long-haul. Of course, considering that there is virtually no competition for them right now (besides Havok), they should be safe for a while longer.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
physx_amd_acquire_112207.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>
"Physics is – physics processing has a long ways to go and there are so many companies out there. [There are] quite a few middleware companies out there that are creating technology in this area, and many games, many game developers incorporate their own physics engine. So my sense is that there’s a lot of invention still left to do in this area. I’m not sure why they bought that company, to tell you the truth. It might give them some advantages with respect to Havok, but it obviously creates negative synergies everywhere else,” said Mr. Huang.

Source: X-bit labs, Custom PC

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Although some GPU's have a physics processor built in, I think a seperate card is a better idea.
Take the TV's that have built in VCR, DVD players, all it take is one componant to go out and you're screwed ( just as an example )

Merlin

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I have been saying this since our first meeting with Ageia back at the 2006 GDC. They clearly can't get any momentum going on the software front so a larger company buying them out has seemed like their only chance to succeed on the physics front. Kyle with AAC and I used to talk about this quite a bit when AAC was still around.

This has made so much sence for so long, it's amazing that it hasnt happened yet.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I think AGEIA has been hoping all along that they would be acquired, although they've been doing rather well to hold themselves afloat for a while. Gotta give them credit for that.

I also agree that a separate card would make more sense for physics, depending on how comprehensive they are. Taking the load off of the CPU and GPU makes sense. People should use their GPUs for the sake of higher frame-rates, not for physics. At $99 for a card now, it's far cheaper than any decent GPU you can purchase.