AMD vs. Intel

madstork91

The One, The Only...
AMD is like McDonalds. Everyone has either had a bad experiance or knows someone who has. But people come back because its cheap and isn't half bad.

Bobbythecat

E.M.I.
In my ignorant days, I thought Intel was great because...well...I've never heard of an alternative. lol
Upon arriving to the US for college, I came upon people who build their own computers, and was introduced to AMD. Most kids still believe that AMD is inferior to Intel quite blindly. Kids thought that AMD was no good because it typically was 1Ghz behind Intel. True, the much older AMD processors sucked. But doing some specific surfing of reviews and data sheets on the more recent processors, AMD does much better with every clock cycle today. No matter which impartial site one goes to, besides the Pentium M and it's power consumption, AMD processors own Intel processors. AMD consumes less power per clock, and does a better job at handling what us gamers throw at it.

Flipi

Obliviot
There is a thing about performance. It comes with a price. And given the today's cpu's characteristicks amd is slightly better on price/ performance ratios. Not to forget what heat monsters are Intel's ones given the frequencies they work on, and finally it will save some money on your electricity bill too.
Anyway it has finally come the time for Intel to have a real competiton which can only lead to our well-beeing. After all it can be a matter of taste which cpu you pick...

Cool Barn

Obliviot
Nosebiter said:
I'll simply say this, I've always been happier with Intel then AMD. That is not to detract from AMD, although I think VIA went a long way to ruin AMD's stability reputation from the begining. Nothing like crappy chipsets to ruin a processors rep, and coming back from that is a tough road.
I totally agree. A CPU is only as good as its chipset, and in that regard I believe that Intel is still superior. Sure the Nforce4 for AMD has gotten some pretty good reviews, but for my money give me an Intel CPU plus Intel chipset. I don't care that the benchmarks say I have made a bad decision - I just know I have had better computing experiences with Chipzilla than I have with AMD.

There's another major difference between AMD and Intel.............

AMD Fanboi Syndrome. :D

Seriously, every time I see one of these threads, it's usually started by an AMD fan pounding his chest and bragging about how much better AMD is than the Evil Intel Empire. Meanwhile, the Intel guys are just going about their daily work or gaming...........so in that regard, Intel is the winner, they actually get used more. :p

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
[FONT=&quot]See, AMD fans aren't any worse then Intel's so we can't go down that road. I love me some AMD procs but from what I have seen, Conroe is going to fist AMD until they come out with something better. But, as always, AMD will be about 6 months behind Intel in releasing the next best thing and will probably best Intel. Everyone gets so hyped up in arguing witch is better and they forget that this is exactly what we want. The competition between these two companies only makes our PC experiences all the better. There will always be people bashing another company, and is will always be a waste of time.[/FONT]

leecho7

Partition Master
My very first build was an Athlon XP 2400. In fact, it's the same processor I'm using right now. I had this rig since 2002-ish.

I built a couple of socket 939 systems for people, and those run amazingly well in my opinion. Can't wait till I get enough money to upgrade my old rig.

I also built a couple of Intel's for my cousin's business and those run amazingly well too.

I personally would stay with AMD only because I'm more familiar with it than Intel. And usually AMD's are cheaper.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
My first build too was an Athlon. I used an Athlon XP 1800+ and I couldn't have been happier. Built it with a Soyo KT333 Platinum mobo and a ATi 7500. Oh the times...