AMD vs. Intel

brettmar

Obliviot
I disagree on the AMD winning. :p

Granted, I love AMD. I have tried the A64 line very little, so my knowledge may be somewhat lacking among that line.

BUT: Do a search on your windows drive for *.exe . When complete, select all, and open. AMD Based chips will lock after XXX amount of open processes, where Intel will load them ALL. Multitasking with intel is so much smoother.

AMD however, does have the best bottom line.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yes, Intel is better at handling that type of thing. I still prefer AMD because of the gaming aspect. If I was to choose a high end Intel, or high end AMD, it would be AMD for sure.

Unless the game is intensly math heavy, then Intel would likely win.

Nosebiter

Obliviot
I'll simply say this, I've always been happier with Intel then AMD. That is not to detract from AMD, although I think VIA went a long way to ruin AMD's stability reputation from the begining. Nothing like crappy chipsets to ruin a processors rep, and coming back from that is a tough road.

brettmar

Obliviot
I want dual core NOW!

I know both platforms are coming out with new and exciting products, but something tells me that the Intel dual core procs with the supposed Hyper transport rollout for Intel chipsets will blow everything we have ever seen out of the water. I wonder if the editions of the new D.C. procs will allow each core SMP support, and have each an individual l2 and l3 cache.

leecho7

Partition Master
I would have to go with AMD, I had my XP 2400 ever since it came out... and I love it...

Muddy

Obliviot
I have 2 good comps in my house. A 2.8 ghz intel and a AMD 64 3200+. The difference between those 2 is sooooo big. They are not really comparable but hey tough. lol AMD is gaming intel is other stuff end of discussion

Mike Delorme

Obliviot
brettmar said:
I want dual core NOW!

I know both platforms are coming out with new and exciting products, but something tells me that the Intel dual core procs with the supposed Hyper transport rollout for Intel chipsets will blow everything we have ever seen out of the water. I wonder if the editions of the new D.C. procs will allow each core SMP support, and have each an individual l2 and l3 cache.

The problem with thease are the price. Regular folk cant afford thease things when they first come out. Except for the AMD 64, AMD's are veryfairly priced when they come out.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Intel 4 life foo!

Dual processors sound nice... But if such a thing were to come about in a mass production i would have to finally give in and buy AMDs...

PUTALE

Obliviot
perpetual argument of amd vs intel. I think each one of them have their strength and weakness. AMD used to be a worse performer than intel but it has caught up and now it has many features that intel is learning. I think depend on what you need to do, you really can't go wrong choosing one or the other.

Word.

E.M.I.
AMD vs Intel

Well i agree AMD is a great gaming CPU, i too chose AMD 64 3000+ Works Damn good it keeps me happy with its performace. but intel is also a great CPU but intel is more for like a multimedia type of CPU so if your going to be hard core into the top games go AMD i assure you its great.

They both have there pros and cons so dont be killing your brain when you go to buy one or help someone else buy one.

AMD 64 3000+ S939 1.80Ghz, DFI lanparty mobo 1 gig DDR PC3200, MSI 6600GT 128 PCI-E SLI compatable.

PS ... i cant spell for shit.

PUTALE

Obliviot
well, I think the idea that amd for game is a little bit misunderstood. AMD just a tad better at gaming given the same clockspeed and intel is better at multitasking/multimedia. The truth is that both performs equally well under any circustances, we are just a tad picky with the like 5% diff in the benchmarks:). Though, AMD do have a slightly advantages of placing cpu at a bit lower prices but still I think high end cpu is expensive no matter what, I mean once you have to shed out like 200 for a cpu the extra 20 or so is really not that huge:).

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Untill they either get better scores of music in computer games (like 80 songs instead of the norm 5-10) I will continue running Winamp in the background as to better fit my audio stimulation needs.

Intel is thus the better for me.

Muddy

Obliviot
madstork91 said:
Untill they either get better scores of music in computer games (like 80 songs instead of the norm 5-10) I will continue running Winamp in the background as to better fit my audio stimulation needs.

Intel is thus the better for me.
lol amd would be better for that. winamp isnt a hard working program. It performs exactly the same on both amd and intel. Multimedia is like 3d compiling and stuff like that

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
INtel = space heater in my book!
;)

AMD rectified alot of their problems when they got off of the socket7 and into their own SlotA/SocketA.

THe K5 and K6 were not very reliable.

But once the Athlon hit... omg, the writing was on the wall.
Intel has had to reduce itself to monopolistic attacks on it's vendors to *force* them to produce more Intel chipsets than possible competing products (read: AMD)

The Japaneese Federal Trade Commission just slapped Intel with a HUGE complaint. Now Europe is looking into them.

I was a total Intel ho, before I stepped into the Slot A Athlon, SocketA Athlon and AthlonXP's... have not looked back since. Stability was right where I rememberd it from the P3 days, but less cost and steadly more performance.

I now run on a FX53/socket939 rig... and I continually rave about this thing.
Intel charges too much for their stuff, and acts like an 800 lb gorilla when it feels threatened.

Instead of using that brain that they have there in San Jose... they flex their market muscle and threaten their vendors to keep AMD out of the market. And that sux...

My $.02

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
FX-53.. damn nice. Put your system specs in your sig, I'm interested to see the rest of that beast :D

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
It is a highly modified rig... which forum can I post pics up in?
Is there a size limit (length and width) that the sigs are limited to?
:D